out of video memory with VISTA and ATI

Unfortunately the quickest recommendation is to downgrade your video driver to the 9.3 Catalysts. Newer versions beyond 9.3 have caused problems for CMSF. If you're running in CrossFire mode it might be even more problematic.

If you are running in CrossFire mode, you may want to attempt running in Single GPU mode (I don't know if that requires pulling the physical connector or not). However I'd guess that you'll probably run into another game-killing issue in Single GPU mode if you're running anything newer than 9.3.

I'm not sure what can be tweaked to possibly alleviate these problems with the newer Catalysts (within the CCC or RivaTuner). Both Nvidia and ATI/AMD don't offer a whole lot of options when it comes to their OpenGL rendering and ATI/AMD seems to offer the lesser of the two when it comes to options.