And that's the way it is. RIP Uncle Walter

Dave H

The man who was known as the most trusted man in America died tonight.

http://www.museum.tv/archives/etv/C/htmlC/cronkitewal/cronkitewal.htm

For those who grew up in the sixties and seventies Walter Cronkite held a towering stature that nobody else will ever come close to matching. He was the original news anchorman who every other newsman tried to copy. Listening to him report the news was exactly like having your father or uncle or grandfather talking to you about what was going on in the world.

Reading his reporting record is almost like reading the history of the 20'th Century. Perhaps it's fitting his death comes during the 40'th anniversary of the Apollo XI mission because reporting on the space program always appeared to be a particular delight for him. I just read that he was on the air for 27 of the 30 hours of coverage of the first moon landing.

I am kind of young to have watched him during the 60's, but I remember in the 70's how he just reported the news and didnt state his political views, just the facts. Thats just about the worst thing about news media now. But RIP Mr. Cronkite, you were the only true anchorman to ever grace our lives.

He was our "Uncle Walter" and will be sorely missed. He exemplified professionalism in reporting. Today's news shows are 99% opinion and speculation while Cronkite had it the other way around (actually, he almost never speculated or gave personal opinions except in one or two celebrated and historic instances.) He could be the model for a new generation, if we could but somehow separate news from profit in the media. Truly one of the "Greatest generation" and I fear we shall never see his likes again. RIP my trusted friend.