Voodoo 5 and Slow Mouse movement

Matt

I`m using a Microsoft Intellimouse (with scrollwheel) but driving it with std Windows drivers rather than the MS stuff.

I just found out that if I use single-chip mode then this mouse jerkiness suddenly stops. I`ve also had a few freezes when using FSAA modes - tried every driver available. One last thing, I noticed that under diplay properties in device manager its lists my card as a 3dfx voodoo series rather than Voodoo 5. The only way I can get it to say Voodoo 5 is by installing the original driver from the CD, but of course I prefer to use the new DX8 compatible one.

Any thoughts?

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Wesreidau:

I just found out that if I use single-chip mode then this mouse jerkiness suddenly stops. I`ve also had a few freezes when using FSAA modes - tried every driver available. Any thoughts?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep. You answered your own question. With dual chip FSAA rendering, you are essentially rendering the scene twice if on 2x FSAA and 4 times if on 4x FSAA. Now, couple that with fog, smoke, high res mods, infinite horizon, and 5000 points of stuff that can be seen on the map and you're gonna get stutters when scrolling around the map. Single chip reduces the number of times the frame needs to be rendered but also looks like ****.

I think one solution would be to beef up your cpu. That's my next solution since all I have is a celeron 500. The other obvious solutions are to crank down the detail (smoke, fog, and transparencies of any kind are particular bandwidth hogs) or use single chip like you noticed.

------------------

Jeff Abbott