CMAK slow on new laptop with nVidia

I have a brand new 1.6ghz dell laptop with 512mb memory and a nVidia GeForce FX video card (latest drivers installed).

CM runs slower on this then my 3 year old mac laptop. In particular, scrolling the editor map (editing mode) is ridiculously slow. In game I get little halts. I'm not running anything else while I run CM except Outlook express and maybe an Internet explorer window.

Is there any way to improve performance?

Is this the way it's supposed to be?

I'd suggest newer video drivers too. Some of the 4x.xx Detonator drivers had some bad performance in many games. The problem is the GeForce Go series has its own drivers. This is where 'hacked' drivers come in that have modified INF files that allow the newer drivers to be used with the Go series chips.

Biff's link eventually points to Pieter's LaptopVideo2Go website. The 'Modded INFs' button is the one to click to get the files that you'll need.

Another thing to do is to make sure that you're plugged into an AC outlet. The powersaving features of newer laptops causes them to slow down the CPU (and quite possibly the GPU too) when they're running off of battery power, which can have a significant effect on games.