New Vista 64 Machine - Won't Start

A few notes:

1. I read the Help Desk Entries on DEP and did that.

2. I installed the game by right clicking on the CMSF_Setup.exe file and selecting Run as Administrator.

3. I did not let the game launch on its own. I went into the filesystem and right clicked on CM Shock Force and selected Run as Administrator.

4. I get the UAC dialog box and click Allow.

5. When I look in C:\Windows I see Runservice.exe

6. I have the US Boxed version I ordered from Battlefront.com's store.

7. I have disabled my firewall and antivirus.

8. I have tried uninstalling, restarting my computer, disabling firewall & antivirus services, and trying again.

9. When I look into my Event Viewer > Applications I see the following error:

The description for Event ID 0 from source LicCtrlService cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

LicCtrlService error: 998

LoadLibrary failed.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled twice following the guidelines above and I'm at a loss at this point.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I just tried setting the RunService.exe to run as administrator and that didn't fix the problem either. I upgraded to 1.10 and tried and then upgraded to 1.11 and tried again. Neither of those resolved the issue and I'm still getting the same error message as above.

When I run the exe I don't get anything. The UAC shows up and I click Allow and then nothing happens. When I look in the even viewer I see the error above with the time I tried to run CM:SF at listed as the corresponding time.

I went back in the logs to be certain this wasn't a pre-existing condition and it only started after I installed CM:SF tonight.

I just tried setting the RunService.exe to run as administrator and that didn't fix the problem either. I upgraded to 1.10 and tried and then upgraded to 1.11 and tried again. Neither of those resolved the issue and I'm still getting the same error message as above.

When I run the exe I don't get anything. The UAC shows up and I click Allow and then nothing happens. When I look in the even viewer I see the error above with the time I tried to run CM:SF at listed as the corresponding time.

I went back in the logs to be certain this wasn't a pre-existing condition and it only started after I installed CM:SF tonight.

Try this:

"eLicense software. If this program bugs you, here's what you can do to disable it: First go to your Services (Start Run services.msc) and look for "LicCtrl Service." Double click on it, Stop it and change it from Automatic to Disable. Done. If certain programs won't run all of a sudden, you may want to enable it to Manual instead."

The game might not install at disable so you might have to make it manual.

Try that & report back. I'm awake for awhile with a new wireless router & our Vista PCs sync up fine, one XP won't find the IP address & a laptop with Vista is doing the same thing. I'm puttering with that now.

The game is installed already.

The problem happens when I try to actually start the game. I've tried uninstalling/reinstalling with the answers that have previously been given here.

The LicCtlService never starts for some reason. And even if I set Rumservice.exe to Run as Administrator that doesn't make a difference.

In most cases, disabling UAC altogether (which is the first thing I did on my Vista machine) will work.

When it doesn't, then the problem is usuallycaused by some anti-virus programs which basically mimmick what the UAC does (without really telling you about it :(). Some of these AV programs (especially NIS seems to be a frequent problem) are also hard to actually fully disable and keeping running in the background even if they should not.

DEP actually is hardly ever a problem nowadays with newer PCs. It used to cause problems with earlier (very buggy) implementations of this CPU "feature", but the newer boards seem to have much better implementation.

Hi Moon - I do have that dll file.

I turned off UAC and it started and played like a charm. Thanks for the assist!

So...my question is...how do I operate with UAC on, but still get to play CMSF? Or...do I have to toggle it whenever I want to play?

Hmmm,

This probably doesn't help, but I've got Vista64 Ultimate and I run UAC.

My CMSF runs fine. Although, I did change its install directory. I initially installed it off the physical disk I received from BF.C, using all defaults. Part of the wonders of Vista is that it split the install into two different folders. The game worked fine. I used it this way for the better part of a year.

Later, I noticed my savegames were not where I expected. A bit of file searching turned them up in the Vista-assigned mystery folder. (Post if you want more info.) Not being satisfied with that state of affairs, I deleted CMSF and reinstalled. This time, I did not use the default options, but instead, I explicitly created a new folder for the game on the root directory.

Again, I left my anti-virus (Kaspersky) and the UAC running. All was, and continues to be, running as expected.

So, it is possible to install and play CMSF on a Vista64 machine with UAC and antivirus enabled.

Regards,

Ken