Replacement "CMMods" site available for your Mods/Campaigns

Hi All,

As you no doubt know, the "CMMODS.com" site is closing at the end of the month.

I have put in place a replacement: GreenAsJade's Combat Mission Mods Warehouse

It's been operating for about a month, with the focus initially on getting all the CMx1 mods that were at CMMODS available.

Now it's ready for trial for housing CMSF Mods, and other material.

Today I've added the "Mod types" of "Map" and "Campaign", since it appears that these are stored as "Mods" at CMMODS. I'm open to opinions on whether really a custom-designed warehouse for maps & campaigns might make more sense, but you're very welcome to place maps & campaigns at the mod warehouse, and will easily be able to find them there (there are already a couple).

I'm also ready and waiting for any suggestions about how and aspects of the site can be improved - different categories for CMSF specific things, different navigation etc.

Of course, there's an obvious question "why use this, why not just use the BFC repository?"

That's entirely up to you. This exists. Use it if you like :) I like it better than the BFC repository, but I'm biased ;) As an author, one thing you might like is the ability to browse your own mods. As a user, I like being able to browse the mods of my favourite authors and being able to browse mods of a particular type of unit

GaJ

I'm excited for this new avenue in supplying mods for this community.

I'm encouraged by your enthusiasm in seeking our input about what we'd like to see in regards to such a site.

Here's my two cents...

Tag files based upon the required modules. Obvious, I know, but necessary in my opinion, for those who are new to the game. Anytime a mod requires the "Marines" or "British," module, I'd be sure to include a short, but very useful note for the newbies. Something like, "This mod requires the Marines/British module, and if this module is installed, this mod will be backwards compatible with Marines/CMSF (base game)."

The trick in this is that I'm assuming that if one doesn't own the Marines module that the material for the British one will be compatible with the base version of CMSF.

I'd also make searches available for Uniform skins, Weapon skins, Vehicle skins, Special Effects, Icons, Maps (No A.I. coding), Missions, Campaigns and Author. Each of these items could be sorted by an Ascending/Descending order by Date, Downloads and Rating (Average). All of these tags would greatly speed up searches, and help ensure that the site is used extensively by the community members.

Man, I hope all of this stuff isn't too much to code! That's quite a Wish List on my part. Thanks for the opportunity for me to express it. Good luck to you on whatever it is you finally decided to implement!

Fighting Sea Bea your Mod Manager is welcome. There's a "Mod Type" for "Mod Managers".

- Register

- Go to the "Your Stuff" tab

- Follow the "Add new CMSF Mod" link

- Enter the details, upload.

Please do upload a preview picture as well.

Kyle - I'll take a look.

GaJ

Tag files based upon the required modules. Obvious, I know, but necessary in my opinion, for those who are new to the game. Anytime a mod requires the "Marines" or "British," module, I'd be sure to include a short, but very useful note for the newbies. Something like, "This mod requires the Marines/British module, and if this module is installed, this mod will be backwards compatible with Marines/CMSF (base game)."

My recommendation would be to put this information in the "description" field for the mod.

Like the words that angryson put here

Would this be the right thing?

GaJ

*** UPDATE ***

I decided that CMSF is different enough from CMx1 that really the mods (and whatever else) are going to be best stored in a different place, not "all jumbled together" with CMx1 material.

So I set up a "replica" for CMSF purposes. It's available at a temporary URL, as soon as the proper domain name propagates it will be available at cmsfmods.greenasjade.net.

The "CMSF" link at the new CMx1 CMMODS site now points to this new place.

So you can browse US marines without bumping into PzIVs, and likewise (once I finish tidying up) CMx1 people will be able to browse Tigers without bumping into terorists...

It also means that if there are CMSF-specific suggestions that come up, the implementation of those won't all be tangled up with CMX1 needs...

GaJ