How long does the average battle last?

Oh, you mean playing Wego with all the stops and starts and replays? In a big WeGo battle that requires lots of plotting and little fast-forwarding I can get through a 1 hour battle in about 2 1/4 hours. Playing Realtime there's no opportunity to rewind repeatedly (but also no opportunity to fast-forward) so a 1 hour game can take 1 1/2 hours (that's including time taken to make myself a sandwich).

It also depends on the scenario. Four tanks racing across open country - the scenario may be over inside the first four turns! Playing a serious Company-size combined arms engagement on a huge wooded map you might need to save and stretch the game over two sessions.

as MikeyD put it, this is no "uniform" game where most battles are basicly the same in therms of map size and force composition. also type of terrain playes a role. advancing 400 meters while digging out 2 revers slope defense lines in heavylie wooded terrain may take as long as the said race over open ground in the desert blasting the same amount of guys in the open in a quater of the time while gaining 3 times as much ground as in the example befor.

also WEGO and RT are quiet different. in WEGO you only give orders when the game is paused every minute, means you play the battle for the whole real time phases AND the time you need to order all that on top wich doubles the time at least.

as i play nearly exclusively WEGO i can tell you playing Armor Attacks scenario for example takes me about 6 to 8 houers in WEGO, maybe more. however i am a rather precise player and i take much time to look up the replay and give orders. i dont rush there.

so actually tell me wich battle you played for a houer and a half and was it RT or WEGO? its quiet easier to tell you if you where slow or not with this information ;)

If you're new to the game you might not be acquainted with 'average' scenario lengths. The average seems (to me) to be about fifty minutes on the clock. I can't think of a proper scenario under 1/2 hour, 1 hour 10 minutes seems to be a nice 'satisfying' scenario length, then there's the few monster scenarios that max out the allotted play time. Quick Battles are officially pegged at 1/2 hour but can run into substantial overtime playing them through.