Unit purchasing vs research (WaW)

Just wondering how most people manage their MPP expenditure, particularly as Axis prior to barbarossa? I used to be most concerned with making sure my units all had lvl 2 motorization, lvl 2 Infantry weapons and lvl 2 heavy tanks, and so on. This sometimes left me slightly short on manpower though as the campaign progresses, though my units were usually of good quality. I would normally be invading with about 20 units (excluding HQ's), last night however I tried to purchase more units and leave most research for the time being, ending up with about 27 units (about 6 tank groups, 2 special forces units, 3 or 4 dive bombers and several air fleets) in time for the attack. Unfortunately I screwed up with my border units and USSR entered the war early before I could attack them.

So just wondering what peoples thoughts are regarding this? Obviously research and purchasing units is a balancing act, but seeing as in the case of the Axis, you have a tight timetable for producing units in time for barbarossa, and since you start with reasonable technology on the soft units, is it more beneficial to go for slightly more quantity than quality? So instead of having four lvl 2 or 3 tanks, i might have six lvl 1 tanks, and maybe just infantry tech lvl 1 but more corps, armies and special forces. My thinking is that you can develop your way throughout the campaign and improve these units gradually, but that the most important thing might be to have the units purchased already and ready for upgrade, especially since with the seasons if you purchase some units they might miss out an entire summer campaign.

I've found that too much research at the expense of more units is a mistake, as having a good sized attacking force is probably more important in the early stages of Barbarossa, and you can always carry out research while you invade, so that by the time you're up against better Soviet units, yours will also be better.

I always find it very tempting to research as much as possible, in virtually every scenario, and it has definitely cost me some games. The problem is that I always want the best of everything!

I always try to invest in tech. that will best help my planned strategy.I usually max it out right away and then start building my units geared towards my overall plan.The only drawback is if you have bad luck in the tech dept.(just ask ksw)then even the best laid plans can be effected .Although we all have the same atvantages in investment.