AI Editor-Just Take a Walk

Is there some way to have the AI enemy just walk? They always seem to run everywhere, no matter what I do.

OK, to be fair, I haven't tested this that extensively yet. But it seems like only "Advance" would give the prospect of walking, so I haven't tried any others. I tried it on "Normal," "Cautious," and "Active," and it seems like they either run or do bounding overwatch (which makes even less sense for what I'm trying to do).

Thanks!

-FMB

• 2 weeks later...

You could utilize the normal command set if you opt to bake the scenario. This would allow you to utilize the "move" command just like in-game.

The side effect of that will be that you won't be able to edit the finished product. You can also have baked orders troops do things like area fire or deploy smoke, wait, etc.

You could utilize the normal command set if you opt to bake the scenario. This would allow you to utilize the "move" command just like in-game.

The side effect of that will be that you won't be able to edit the finished product. You can also have baked orders troops do things like area fire or deploy smoke, wait, etc.

It's for a campaign, and so far in my limited experience I haven't been able to put baked scenarios into a campaign. It's a good point though.

The AI seems to use every move type in AI except the actual "move" command and the "slow" command". I think they will only revert to those when exhaustion sets in or they are forced into slow move by opposing fire.

Yeah.

Overall I feel like this wouldn't be terribly difficult to implement. Of course, I don't know that, but I feel that just one extra setting in the AI editor that would make them move on "Move" wouldn't be too hard. It could also be useful for larger scenarios where enemy footslogger reinforcements have a long way to go and you don't want to tire them out just getting into the battle.

Well, honestly, I can hardly imagine the situation on a battlefield when command "MOVE" is necessary for infantry..

How often do you use "MOVE" command for your own infantry.?

The command is very slow and unsafe.. I personally preffer to advance the infantry by giving "QUICK" command to a more or less covered place and after some pause relocate them to a new position.. While in paused mode the units have a good chance of spotting nearby enemy..

To relocate units to a longer distances there are plenty of personal carriers and IFV for regular units (marines even have the tracks in addition to AAV) and uncons have taxis..

Just order AI to relocate unit carriers to a destination place and then give the command "Passanger Dismount".. All you have to do is just assign a different group numbers to the infantry units and to the carriers to manage them separately..

But as I'm new to the game there's a big chance that I'm missing something or I'm unaware of some tips and tricks :) so I'd appreciate if you point to any of them..

Paul.

Two reasons:

1) [This is the purpose for which I wanted to use it when I started this thread] Making patrol routes. As it is, the guys just sort of randomly charge all over the place and then hit the dirt at intervals. Not really suitable at all for a covert op-based mission (yes, yes, I know, CM:SF isn't supposed to simulate this).

2) If the infantry have a long way to go on foot, but through relatively secure positions, any other move command will fatigue them.

1) [This is the purpose for which I wanted to use it when I started this thread] Making patrol routes. As it is, the guys just sort of randomly charge all over the place and then hit the dirt at intervals. Not really suitable at all for a covert op-based mission (yes, yes, I know, CM:SF isn't supposed to simulate this).

Ok, I see.. For this particular scenario you'll need something like "MOVE" indeed..

But then, it's still more reasonable to request directly a "Patrol" order for the AI which is going to be really useful, me thinks..