AI use of grenades ?

CharonJr

Hi,

the AI still seems a bit weak when it comes to assaulting buildings.

About 40 of my troops were pinned down by a loney soldier in a building, but instead of using grenades to blow him out of it they were happily shooting their rifles.

When I manually ordered one soldier to use a grenade I think I learned why. He happily ran after his grenade instead of staying put and blew himself to pieces ;)

Has anybody else seen this or is there any way to make my troops use their grenades to get enemies out of buildings by themself (preferably without killing themself in the process) ?

CharonJr

• 3 weeks later...

Did anyone observe the AI using smoke?

I didn't in the demos - maybe in the finished game?

(A little off topic: ) I noticed that bailed out tank crews get killed very easily because they remain for some vital moments in an upright position and trying to load their personal weapons until they dare to obey my order to go prone and crawl to the relative safe position behind the wreck.

Maybe I should let the crew exit the tank at the start of the scenario to let them load their weapons and order them to hold fire – hope that increases their survivability to some extent.

Hope this behavior can be tweaked. ;)

I personally stopped to try to use hand grenades, to get enemy infantry out of the buildings, as it mostly finishes as CharonJr posted already.

Nope, the AI doesn't use smoke. I let one of those enemy INF waves run around the long ridge in the middle, to the left, right next to this gap in front of the player's arty, then the arty pounded all enemy soldiers coming around the corner... with "dead bodies" enabled, it was like a funny line of piled bodies .... :)

Well, I then used 2 smoke grenades and searched all their backpacks for guess what ... smoke grenades, and ended up with a nice stack of around 15-20 smoke grenades (including my soldiers' US smoke nades). I could create a "line of smoke" spanning like half of the distance to the outskirts of the town. A neat way to get infantry into the town (almost) unharmed. :D .

Hint regarding tank crews : See if that helps:

Let your tank crews leave the tanks (after that first attack reaching for your arty) and issue a sneak-order (prone position) and disable free movement (=HOLD command), then let them enter the vehicle again. If a tank gets disabled, forcing the crew to bail out, the crew should then go to a prone position right away (unless they are blocking each other, where they would try to find a better spot - to go prone - first).