Demo Performance?

Motomouse

On a Intel 9550 2.8ghz, 4 GB (on xp though) and a 9800gtx+ I don't get as bad as 6-16 but it's still pretty bad. The auto detect puts everything on max but I need to turn off shadows, HDR and SSAO to get it to run ok (that's with no additional strain from AA since it doesn't work). The trouble spot for bad framerates is in and around the town in the demo mission, away from there the framerate runs much better.

• 2 weeks later...

My System specs:

AMD X2 940 3000MHz, NVIDIA 7600 GT, 4GB RAM (ok... 3.3 GB used by Win XP), 20" CRT @ 1024 * 768.

Runs really smooth on 0.5 speed (with everything max'ed, even with HDR enabled), and my card supports pixel shaders 3.0. The cam movement then starts to get choppy on "normal" speed, but the game frame rate is still halfway ok, if i don't move the cam.

I wonder whether the game is a CPU/memory hog or not, since others - with better video cards than me - report similar performance problems, I wouldn't know for sure until I get a faster card, anyways.

In my books, the little sandstorms popping up in and around the village and other locations and (audio) ambiance FX, which seem to be scripted (i found references in the mission files, at least) are one of the main reasons for the engine to act up, as these have to be computed by the cpu. Does the game use dual or quad cores at all?

The game occupies 1.2 GB RAM after leaving the map, with just the main menu running, which is really a lot. This could mean that the game does not remove the data (textures, objects/models) from memory, and might be one reason for the crashes when people try to load savegames. In TOW, it was quite convenient, when the player had to reload a savegame, as it took way less time to load the map, but in this demo, it seems to be buggy and causing trouble.

Also, if looking at what the TOW2-engine delivers (visually/performance-wise), i'd say it's still below industry standard ... BF2 has similar visual quality, and even bigger maps - without occupying CPU/RAM to that amount. Memory allocation in most recent 3D RTS engines is lower, mostly around 700 MB - 800 MB of physical RAM if at all, and still somewhat lower in most recent 3D shooter engines (let's say unreal 3), around 700 MB - 1GB.