Completed My First Campaign- With a question

Well I made it through my first campaign and I was surprised to see that it give you the totals, and really glad it did. I played through on Vet difficulty and here is the break down:

Blue Force Major Victory

Blue Force Red Force

128 KIA 1193 KIA

134 Wounded 626 Wounded

0 MIA 336 MIA

6 Tanks Lost 44 Tanks Lost

33 AFVs Lost 20 AFVs Lost

4 Others Lost 56 Others Lost

I would label this as acceptable results, probably "average" from my understanding of modren warfare. I am just not sure wha the total number of men I am supposed to be leading, is it one BN or several? Also, I was wondering, why is the wounded count so low? From my understanding most battles result in at least double the wounded vs KIA. Its not a complaint, I was just wondering. Also, what makes a person MIA? I got a lot of those, are they considered to be POWs if they are wounded and near a US Army guy? Or are they MIA if they are out of contact with HQ, but ok at the end of the level?

I am just not sure wha the total number of men I am supposed to be leading, is it one BN or several?

I believe it's a task-organized BN since it consistently refers TF Thunder. In the Army, AIUI, a task force is a battalion level organization.

Also, I was wondering, why is the wounded count so low? From my understanding most battles result in at least double the wounded vs KIA. Its not a complaint, I was just wondering.

Because most battles in the real world involve extensive artillery fires that cause a majority of the casualties and a disproportionate number of wounded. Additionally, direct fire engagements (historically) cause a 1-1 ratio of killed to wounded. When terrain or circumstances favor direct fire (urban areas are especially notable for this), the ratio is much higher on the side of killed.

That isn't to say that CM:SF couldn't use some tweaking as AFV combat generally leaves every crewmen dead.

Also, what makes a person MIA? I got a lot of those, are they considered to be POWs if they are wounded and near a US Army guy? Or are they MIA if they are out of contact with HQ, but ok at the end of the level?

As far as I can tell, MIA is used only to indicate a unit has routed (sprouted an orange '!' and disappeared). Enemy wounded count as wounded regardless of their proximity to your forces. Contact with HQ does nothing for or against MIA, beyond making the unit less likely to rout if they can talk to their boss.

That isn't to say that CM:SF couldn't use some tweaking as AFV combat generally leaves every crewmen dead.

I take this back. I just got done playing some network matches against Ali-Baba, as the Syrians, and saw plenty of evidence to the contrary. I must of not been paying attention, or maybe it's because I usually play blue offline so when Syrian crewmen get out I don't see them.

When a tank, even an Abrams, receives a definitive hit -- like an AT-14 hit -- and all the crew indicators go from blue to red, one would assume that means either all the crew are KIA or most of the crew are KIA and the one or two WIA guys have no one to haul them out of the burning wreck so they don't end up KIA too. In the latter case, even if the crewmen are not all KIA by a knock-out hit, it would be likely that they would all end up KIA.

When it comes to AFV hits I saw a lot of both. When the Strykers took frontal hits by RPGs most of the time the crew would bail. Any other direction and some would die and some would survive. What did surprise me was secondary explosions. Sometimes my crew would survive, but since I play turn based, they would lay next to the AFV. When it exploded, then they would die since I didnt get a chance to tell them to run. I lost more M1A1s through immobilization then anything else. Only saw one of them get completely brewed up.

I didn't see much bailing on the part of the Syrians. I guess for them it matters more where they get hit.

When a tank, even an Abrams, receives a definitive hit -- like an AT-14 hit -- and all the crew indicators go from blue to red, one would assume that means either all the crew are KIA or most of the crew are KIA and the one or two WIA guys have no one to haul them out of the burning wreck so they don't end up KIA too. In the latter case, even if the crewmen are not all KIA by a knock-out hit, it would be likely that they would all end up KIA.

I was talking about Syrian armor. A turret hit should rarely kill or incapitate the driver, in general.

When it comes to AFV hits I saw a lot of both. When the Strykers took frontal hits by RPGs most of the time the crew would bail. Any other direction and some would die and some would survive. What did surprise me was secondary explosions. Sometimes my crew would survive, but since I play turn based, they would lay next to the AFV. When it exploded, then they would die since I didnt get a chance to tell them to run. I lost more M1A1s through immobilization then anything else. Only saw one of them get completely brewed up.

Yeah secondaries are a bitch. Had one kill a turned out TC on it's wing tank once.

I didn't see much bailing on the part of the Syrians. I guess for them it matters more where they get hit.

It could be assymetric perception. I know it was for me, once I played Red more I noticed that a fair number of crews would get out OK, at least after 1.11.

When the Strykers took frontal hits by RPGs most of the time the crew would bail.

I recall the first Stryker to be pierced by an RPG in Iraq the crew didn't even realize it for 20 minutes afterward! It was only when the engine started overheating that they found the engine coolant line had been cut. Stryker's got the 'benefit' of being a big as a schoolbus so its kind'a hard to nail everyone with a single shot. I've seen KE rounds go in one side of a BMP and straight out the other. Its a lucky man who gets out of that vehicle! With heavier equipment a KE round tends to enter one side then rattle around the interior for awhile. In those circumstances the chances of NOT hitting everyone is pretty small.