Problems with AA

Glennovich

This is what I get with AA forced on in the nVidia control panel and HDR off in the game. If I set HDR on I dont get any AA.

My system: Intel C2Duo E6850 3.0Ghz, WinXP Pro SP3, 2GB RAM, DirectX installed from ToW3, GeForce 260, 182.08 drivers.

shot_01.JPG

I think this is a serious problem. The game looks great, but if this problem not gets solved, it will be a no buy for me... Anyway, I still believe we'll get a solution from Moon or Sneaksie.

Are there a lot of guys/girls out there with the same AA problem?

Graphics engine uses rendering to texture technique heavily (even for shadows), and this is not compatible with AA, so AA is not supported.

You can force it on video card control panel, but it will work only with HDR and ambient occlusion disabled, so i prefer HDR and SSAO instead of AA myself.

Thanks Sneaksie

But, it's not really clear for me, when I run the demo on my system - windowsXP, 3.0 dualcore, GT8800 - can I get smooth edges, without jaggies, when I turn HDR and SSAO on? Or do I need to buy a new video card?

Ofcourse I prefere the visual quality with HDR and SSAO on, but the jaggies are hurting my eyes...

This is what I get with AA forced on in the nVidia control panel and HDR off in the game. If I set HDR on I dont get any AA.

My system: Intel C2Duo E6850 3.0Ghz, WinXP Pro SP3, 2GB RAM, DirectX installed from ToW3, GeForce 260, 182.08 drivers.

Ciao Centauro, do you have already ToW3? ;)

PS io sono del Piemonte, Cuneo

Thanks Sneaksie

But, it's not really clear for me, when I run the demo on my system - windowsXP, 3.0 dualcore, GT8800 - can I get smooth edges, without jaggies, when I turn HDR and SSAO on? Or do I need to buy a new video card?

Ofcourse I prefere the visual quality with HDR and SSAO on, but the jaggies are hurting my eyes...

Well, what screen resolution you use normally and what is your monitor native resolution and size? Obviously, higher resolution is better and means less jaggies.

Looks like it's personal preference then, I seldom use AA with this resolution.

Anyway, a number of rendering techniques used in the game are not compatible with AA (this is not unusual, for example, Unreal engine 3 doesn't like AA too). You can force AA on display control panel, but you'll also need to disable HDR and Ambient occlusion in the game, and graphical issues may still occur. I don't think that buying the new video card will help.

Ahhh so it is using a funky rendering type.

Apparently DX10 (DX10 games not just the card) can run MSAA with deferred shading but I've never seen any tests to prove it.

You can try forcing Quincunx AA (with Nhancer) which will work but it works by blurring everything so I don't like it much. Another one that sometimes works here is Super sampling AA instead of Multi sampling, it it works it looks better than MSAA but is more performance intensive.