No commander...

c3k

Gents,

Playing the Marine campaign, "Semper Fi! - Syria" and I managed to kill off a platoon commander in one of the battles. In the next battle, that platoon starts on board.

It has, er, two men left. :) One is in the HQ, the other is in a squad. (The saying "An army of one" springs to mind...)

The squad has a RED in command icon, etc. See this:

Commandradiusissuesubordinateview.jpg

The HQ looks like this:

HQview.jpg

After thinking about it, I have come to the conclusion that the squad is not in command because the CO is not present. Is that correct?

The fact that there is an HQ element/team present, but no in-command icon is interesting. I'm not sure if I should be awed at the level of detail in this, or not. If there WERE a CO or XO present, would my squaddie have a green light? Does the lack of a green in-command icon represent any performance degredation?

Thanks,

Ken

If there WERE a CO or XO present, would my squaddie have a green light?

Absolutely, I noticed this not long ago, as I was replaying the "Hasrabit" campaign.

Does the lack of a green in-command icon represent any performance degredation?

I guess the whole C2 thing is broken if you don't have the green light, but I'm not quite sure about this...

I would say you are correct. The lone HQ member doesn't have the CO/XO designation or any rank insignia, which tells me the command level personnel are dead and the lone guy is a enlisted member of the command group.

He doesn't have a radio and doesn't have any icons to state he can issue commands visually or by voice. Buck private. In fact, the lone survivor in the squad actually outranks him (note the star).

Loss of command usually will result in command delays, I believe. Things will still happen but it will take longer.

Also, I don't believe the HQ in your example can call for fire (either arty or cas).

Also, I don't believe the HQ in your example can call for fire (either arty or cas).

I doubt that... Every BLUFOR soldier is able to call fire support if I'm right, but as a private the delays will be greater. Team leaders (1-star) are more effective and squad leaders (with 2-stars) are even better.

Come to think of it, shouldn't a unit's radio be included in its inventory panel, along with (to use the above screenshots as an example) the NVGs, binocs, and GPS? I understand that a unit's being in command via radio is indicated in the C2 panel, but I think it ought to be a little clearer whether or not a given unit has a radio in the first place. (With vehicles it's easier to tell, since "Radio" appears as an item under the Damage tab and there's the radio icon -- when applicable -- in the C2 panel.)

If the radioman in an HQ unit is WIA/KIA, is the radio he carries also knocked out, or can it be picked up by a fellow soldier, such as the one who performs buddy aid on him?

Regarding the first screenshot, I also noticed that the platoon's 2nd team appears with a green plus-sign in the HQ's "units" tab -- which would seem to contradict the lack of C2 between the two.

I don't believe the HQ in your example can call for fire (either arty or cas).

I doubt that... Every BLUFOR soldier is able to call fire support if I'm right, but as a private the delays will be greater. Team leaders (1-star) are more effective and squad leaders (with 2-stars) are even better.

I believe BlackMoria meant that he figures the above-pictured HQ cannot call for fire support because of the indicated lack of C2 both with the subordinate team and to any upper echelons. In other words, the platoon as well as its component units are isolated C2-wise from friendly units.