Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Tow Won't Even Launch!!!

Gday

I bought TOW in June 08 and have been trying ever since to play this game.

I have the uberpatch , i have checked and unchecked the dep numerous times, i have installed and uninstalled numerous times. I have a 1c company/ battlefront retail version with license key bought from a reputable chain store.

The game installs no problem but as soon as i try to launch the game to license it i get the wait icon for about 5 seconds and then nothing.

This is really getting frustrating, i can't even return the game because i bought it on holidays. How hard is it to produce a game that actually works out of the box, apparently not that hard most other game companies seem to manage it. I can run " call of duty -world at war" so I know my system can cope.

Any help would be greatly appreciated because my next effort with the game will involve a hammer.

Thanks daz

The problem here actually isn't the game, it's either Windows Vista UAC (User Access Control) or your DEP settings, or your anti-virus program (or a combination of all). It seems that some PCs these days are locked down too tight for their own good, and in the attempt to block viruses also block out legitimate functions, such as when a game installs which requires admin rights.

Our games require full admin rights during installation because of the eLicense DRM, and TOW1 is a special case because it also needs admin rights for you to be able to create game profiles and save games.

There are numerous solutions listed for this in the Knowledge Base at www.battlefront.com/helpdesk. I know you have seen me mention this before in another thread, have you actually had a look there? I know it's frustrating when a game doesn't run but form my experience the people who are most frustrated are those that ignore the tools we provide them with to help themselves quickly.

Anyway, in the Knowledge Base there is an entry there called "I start up the game and nothing happens..." for example, here is a link for your convenience:

http://www.battlefront.com/helpdesk/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=89&nav=0,3

I removed all my virus protection, i changed my DEP settings several times, i shut down my fire wall, i am running XP sp 3+, i have installed and re-installed ad nauseum,my system can run all the latest games "Call of Duty- World at War" etc., and the thing still wont let me activate the license.

You said that from your experience the most frustrated people are the ones that ignore the tools provided to help them.

That is like saying that before i drive my brand new car i must first assemble it with the tools that were provided by the dealer who sold me the car! Where on the cover or manual does it say you must be a programmer to play this game?

Nothing recomended so far by the help desk has worked. And from numerous forums i've read i don't seem to be the only one.Also nowhere on the back jacket (or the front)does it mention anything about the elicense.

WHY release a game that doesn't run straight out of the box? a game that costs 45 EURO!

daz7462, the game runs straight out of the box for the majority of people. That's many tens of thousands of people. For those that run into problems the cause is usually something with their PC or operating system.

eLicense is mentioned in the End User License Agreement that is part of the game purchase. Since we don't sell the game in stores with eLicense, mentioning it on the cover doesn't make sense, as it's mail order (i.e. you already purchased it when you have it in your hands). I don't know how you got your copy WITH eLicense from a store, but that's not really relevant.

We're happy to work with you to try to run the game. If you want that is. Some of the things causing this problem (like DEP) are unfortunately extremely buggy on certain PCs, and sometimes you need to set and reset them several times before it "sticks". But the best way to do this is via the helpdesk, and I see that you have already submitted a ticket.

PS. Your ticket has been replied to already yesterday and is on hold until we hear back from your, by the way. If you didn't get the email it has been spam-blocked and you should check your ticket status and replies by logging in at www.battlefront.com/helpdesk (the forum login won't work there, you need an account from the main site at www.battlefront.com if you don't have one already).

Moon! BE HONEST for a moment!!! If you bought a new car & it wouldnt start & you took it back to the dealer & in part his answer was "Thousands of other cars like this start for other people" you would probably punch the guy!!!! WHO CARES IF IT STARTS FOR SOMEONE ELSE!!!!!!!!! Also somewhere in the answer you would probably like to hear some thing like" Im sorry you are having trouble with our product" Moon! BE HONEST for a moment!!!!

Go ahead & ban me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ban you, why? For excessive use of !'s :)

There is a MAJOR difference between cars and software. Cars are supposed to operate on their own. If I deliver it to you broken then I must fix it. But software is meant to run on a system that is completely outside of our control, your PC. If the software works but your PC is "broken" then we can't "fix" our software to fix your PC, too.

It's more like we deliver a radio for your new car. If the radio doesn't run because the car electricity system is wired wrong, then what can we do?

Of course it's in our best interest to try to cope with even "broken" PCs, because we do want to sell our games. So we provide support even in cases where a non-working game is the symptom not the problem, and we have a long track record of working with customers to solve their issues even if it takes a lot of time. We even add various "features" to games to cope with broken PCs, look at the "ATI compatibility" setting in CMSF to cope with buggy drivers.

I have no clue what you're saying about honesty and why, and what you mean with "ban me". Me thinks you're confused in which forum you're posting?