What is the best way to navigate between/manage widely dispersed units?

Bahger

When a company-sized force is widely dispersed -- such as being divided into three teams for a multi-axis assault on a large map -- I have some difficulty travelling back and forth across the map while maintaining tactical SA, especially if at least two teams are engaged. This applies to RT play, of course. I'm wondering which keys you all use to maximise speed of player travel across the map and instant re-orientation between units. For me, as I mouse around the map, it feels like cooking dinner with two saucepans going at one end of the house and two more at the other, with me travelling back and forth on roller skates! I'm not sure what the most efficient way is to switch between units, preserving previous orientation where possible, or whether there is a "last unit selected" key or other such shortcuts. I do not have access to the manual from my laptop and would appreciate advice from experienced players of larger-scale battles. Many thanks.

A useful addition to tab is the really wide top down views for large maps (hotkeys 8 & 9). Also don't forget to use your mousewheel in any overhead view for relatively quick zoom.

I give a unit orders, then press '9' for overview (which also makes the terrain scroll really fast with the mouse) -> select another unit -> 'tab' -> '2' or '3'

Rinse and repeat.

Note: you don't always get the exact unit you want from the waaay overhead view, like when several squads are fairly close to one another, but it gets you close enough and you can traverse the map quickly that way as well.

What I would like to be able to do is assign fkeys to a plt and then all I have to do is hit f3 or f4 to take me to the plt in question, but thats just me.

I've been bit missing this all-along as well while playing RT. Who does tactical wargames in RT these days without adding quick selection keys? ... Well Battlefront it seems. :cool: