Japan and industrial technology

Has anyone done the maths as to whether or not it's worthwhile for the Japanese to invest in industrial technology?

I only ask as in SC2 it generally wasn't worth it for Germany to do so.

I can't say that I have done the math, as such. But, I have played a hotseat game solo up to 1943 so far, and I simply don't have the money to invest in industrial technology, so that in itself may be your answer.

It is all the Japanese can do just to replace/repair losses, upgrade units and build a few new ones. Add to this the exorbitant cost of launching amphibious attacks in the early game, and I think this all renders the question of investing somewhat moot.

Probably Japan's best investment is to upgrade its air and army tech, when and as possible, and grab more Chinese production centers.

In my game vs. AI I've invested in both industrial and production. My attitude is that since its fairly late in the war before Japan faces any meaningful opposition, this investment makes sense.

Also, do to the heavy cost of amphibious, I'm careful to try to accomplish most invasions by seizing an unguarded port first and then using normal trans to bring the rest in. Slower but cheaper. YMMV.