CMBO iMac Installation distaster. HELP!

Problem: CMBO was deleted from my iMac and I'm having major problems reinstalling it.

System:

Old bottle-green iMac sporting OS 8.6 on PowerPC G3 processor at 233Mhz.

Available disk memory 736Mb. Built in memory 160Mb. Virtual memory 161Mb. Vid card 2Mb.

Notes & Symptoms:

1. CMBO was orginally installed under OS 8.1, I think. The 8.6 upgrade came later.

2. That installment of CMBO was trashed last week. It was lowres but had run just fine for years.

3. I reinstalled. The new installation procedure finished suddenly with a box proclaiming that there were problems in the installation, I should quit, restart, try again. Nevertheless on a cursory inspection, the game seemed to run, so I dropped the 1.12 patch over it. Performance was much cruder than before. Movies froze then jumped several seconds - especially when I had the sound going. So that I could keep doing PBEM turns, I put up with this until today when it was particularly irritating. So, I trashed the game to start again.

4. Initial attempts to install the game afresh simply failed to get going. There was some immediate problem getting the installation onto the HD and the process aborted itself. This evening I'm back at step 3, it seems: installation has finished short of the end with the 'problem' message.

Any suggestions from the dedicated Mac officiandos out there. Please. Pretty please!

How much Hard drive disk space have you got ?

736Mb (what size HD to begin with?)

If that is all you've got remaining - the CMBO install will exceed that amount. You need to have a good ol' spring clean of your HD - throw away all your superflous files and then Norton optimize/speed disk to sort out fragmented files. Then install CMBO

Plus your Virtual Memory is probably causing the stuttering as it tries to work with the clogged HD space. Best to install extra RAM memory and switch of virtual memory.

[ September 08, 2004, 01:09 PM: Message edited by: Wicky ]

You'll need a bootable Norton CD v4.00 - 6.00, no freeware available to do what is required.

Not recomended for HD with OSX installed!

DiskWarrior and TechTool Pro can do something similar but they also need to be on a separate bootable disk to the one you need to optimize

Originally posted by HarryInk:

I haven't got Nortons.... Hmmm... I'll have to sniff around friends to see if anyone has. Meanwhile, can you recommend any freeware I can DL that can sort out my frag'd files?