2 Questions

RickWelch

1) You cant seem to occupy buildings....are they frickin' serious-with all the fancy graphics, you cant occupy structures? If this is true, this is one ex-infantryman who is disgusted with designers who know nothing about real combat.

2) I cant seem to get my men to ride on tanks. Are they serious?

1) You cant seem to occupy buildings....are they frickin' serious-with all the fancy graphics, you cant occupy structures? If this is true, this is one ex-infantryman who is disgusted with designers who know nothing about real combat.

2) I cant seem to get my men to ride on tanks. Are they serious?

1) Yeah you are right this is a serious issue that was glossed over for Time & technical reasons AFAIK. If you look inside the buildings though the interiors are rendered, which make me think the tech issues were serious. This will be fixed in TOW2 though.

2) You can do this if you install the latest JSH mod patches.

TOW takes a while to get used to, once you get the hang of it though it's a blast! 1st thing to do is get into the habit of setting all your vehicles to Hold Position, otherwise they will wander off & more often than not get their asses toasted.

Yep. Ironically we've got a game set in a theatre of WWII where there was much urban warfare and house to house fighting and we can't go into buildings and they are now developing a game set in a theatre of WWII where there was next to no urban warfare and house to house fighting and those who buy it will be able to enter buildings.

:confused:

Thanks so much fellers! Your quick reply is appreciated. I just took the quickplay icon off my desktop. I'll play this game when it is as realistic as the eye candy. CCBB is a much better simulation IMHO. I could care less about the old school graphics. What a waste of money for TOW...ah well. Having to load a mod to ride on vehicles is just a bit much. Typical example of a game engine based on eye candy for the young, with no thought devoted to realism.

Why the resistance to installing a mod so that your men can ride on a tank?

Every game I play has been greatly improved by mods made by people that enjoy making the game better. IL2 only really became fun when people could mod it. Take Command is now a great game because of mods.

Why does a game have to be "best out of the box" in order for you to play it?

Thanks so much fellers! Your quick reply is appreciated. I just took the quickplay icon off my desktop. I'll play this game when it is as realistic as the eye candy. CCBB is a much better simulation IMHO. I could care less about the old school graphics. What a waste of money for TOW...ah well. Having to load a mod to ride on vehicles is just a bit much. Typical example of a game engine based on eye candy for the young, with no thought devoted to realism.

Bah CMBB is so in the past now. I find Panzer Command Karkov fills than niche pretty good.

TOW is what it is. Its really about TOW II now, the lessons have been learned , with a release date around the corner we'll judge just how well this franchise listened and learned. From what I see could be pretty good.

I couldn't deal with CMBB. The way it modelled human figures made me feel I was playing a bad version of South Park with military vehicles.

Human figures with the body motions of Gerry Lewis.

People really don't look like that, you know, and they really really don't run like that.

Everybody let's kick up our heels.

What I ended up doing was erasing the patch version and reinstalling from the CD. I had originally downloaded the game. It still crashes. When I checked the encyclopedia, sure enough there were lots of new vehicles, but no pictures. The game crashes when loading the Mokra scenario, right at the end of the loading bar. The CD version has JSH 1.3.2 on it in the top right corner. This is getting frustrating. I'll try loading the 1.3.1 patch as well, but ideas from the veterans would be appreciated.

It's always a good idea to really clean things out when you do an uninstall.

After you have uninstalled the game, go into your Programs Files and delete the Battleground folder.

Then run Ccleaner and Glary Utilities to clean out temp files and your registry. Whenever you install software it installs code in your registry that may not be removed with an uninstall and may continue to bugger things up after a reinstall.

Use the cleaner and registry in Ccleaner. Use the one click maintenance in Glary Utilities.

http://www.ccleaner.com/

http://www.glaryutilities.com/

Once you have reinstalled the game, go into Program Files/Battlefront and make a copy of the Theatre of War folder and leave it there as backup. That way if things get messed up, you don't have to do a reinstall. Plus it's a good "bank" to get folders that haven't been copied over.

I don't usually unzip directly into game folders. Instead I unzip into a temp folder on my desktop and see what the new folders are. Then I go into the game folder and make copies of the folders that will be copied over and save them in the game folder. Only after this do I copy the new folders into the game folder, or just unzip into the game folder.

All of this may seem tedious, but it wil make life easier for you in the long run.

Oops...I cleaned the folder out by hand and reinstalled. I can always do it again and use the utilities. The game off the disk works now. I am installing the uberpatch. Do I now install JSH v 1.3.1 and JSH v 1.3.2? I am actually interested enough to see this through now! Thanks to all who are helping me out.