Syrian MG team oddity

c3k

Gents,

I'm playing Perdition (THANK YOU, Papertiger), which is Red vs. Red.

I have 4 MG teams; two Team A's and two Team B's. All four teams are led by a leader whose rank is represented by two chevrons. However, the Team A chevrons point UP and the Team B chevrons point DOWN. Is this some sort of Syrian rank convention? :o

Obviously it seems like an oversight. Pictures are available if anyone wants to see 'em.

Thanks,

Ken

I'm no heraldry/insignia expert, but I've noticed that different armies position their rank chevrons differently. For example, in WW2, US Army rank chevrons were point-upward, whereas German Heer rank chevrons were point-downward. For the same army to have differents ranks with their chevrons oriented differently might seem odd, but to me it seems within the realm of plausibility.

Gents,

After MUCH searching, the best I could find regarding Syrian ranks is located here:

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/library/policy/army/accp/is3009/appb.html

It's not pretty, but it gets the job done. As Flanker15 posted, the chevrons are correct as depicted in CMSF.

The charts located at the link are not very sharp, but they do give corresponding US rank equilalents to each Syrian rank, both officer and enlisted. (The link also has Omani and other ranks, so you must read the title of each chart!)

Regards,

Ken