Importance of roads/streets

Pandur

i wonder about that since the game was released. however i thought i wait a bit, maybe it gets corrected. till now i didnt saw a single thread about it, so i do one now.

the CMx1 behaviour, where streets and dirt roads where all so important becouse it almost doubled the speed of the unit, especially vehicles.

now in CMSF, we got "modern" vehicles but still the abrams should go something like 70km/h on a paved road(in "fast" movement), but in the game it does not drive any faster on a paved road than through mud for example. fast is fast, no matter what ground it is on.

the abrams is tracked, but we got some wheeled vehicles too, like strykers or humvees. imagine the difference of driving a wheeled vehicles on paved or dirt road and on sand(not dirt, real sand like on a beach) or rocks, still the wheeled vehicles keep on speeding through rough/rocky and mud tiles as if they where paved.

that makes a paved road in a map, wich was god send in a CMx1 map, totaly uninteressting, you can simply shortcut through whatever terrain and ignore roads totaly.

now that pathing it quiet fixed compared to the early versions i would like to see this CMx1 feature back(at least for CM:Normandy if it wont make it for the syrian scenario).

also, was this intentionaly left out becouse of time limitations or is there any other reason for that? please fill me in...

thanks,

I'm fairly sure I've noticed a difference in vehicles' movement rates with different terrain - in Objective Pooh with vehicles scurrying to get behind the hill, there's a LOS for an AT4 (I think) in one of the trenches. A poor choice of path will leave a vehicle in that LOS for too long and it will be snotted. It may be that with the relatively small distances to cover (due to relatively small maps) that the vehicles don't reach top speed too often.

Come to think of it, I found the salt pan terrain in the next scenario is even more detrimental to a vehicle's top speed.

yesterday befor i did go to bed i created a test map, 500m long with lanes of different surfaces and youre right. there are differences but they are not like i was used to them in CMx1.

so forgett about that, i should have created this test map in the first place befor posting this crap :D

thanks for the heads up

In Hills and Highways,

I ran 3-4 vehicles up the far left side of the leftern ridge. One got to the top pretty quick but when I checked the others they were getting bogged down for a bit. I was praying, Cmon baby get on up there. Risky gamble but it paid off and I learned that some of those steep slopes are not off limits.

Vehicles will get bogged down in several situations....