CMSF on Atom chipped mini-notebooks?

Sivodsi

Hi there,

Just wondering if anybody has tried installing CMSF on those small handy sized mini notebooks that come with a 1.6GHz Atom chip. How does it run?

I'm thinking in particular of getting the latest HP1000 mini-notebook http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/computer_can_series.do?storeName=computer_store&category=notebooks&a1=Category&v1=Mini&series_name=mini1000xp_series but I would think that the Atom chipped baby 'puters would have similar performance, so it would be great to hear of anybody's experiences.

I would think that the fairly heavy-duty CPU calculations required by CMSF might choke the low-wattage Atom chip. Performance is said to be typical of that of a typical Pentium III processor. The idea for the Atom is based around power-saving, not performance. In a mini-laptop that equates to better battery life.

I guess the graphics subsystem would affect it to some extent, but you're definitely in the realm of what is known as CPU-limited game play.

I bought my Acer minilaptop to play the old CMx1 series and some other less iportant stuff (GPS, recording music etc). I think ther´s no way that Shock Force would run on those. The built-in graphicscard is the second major obstacle besides the 1.6 Atom. Forget it... But as a portable CMx1 battlestation it will work just fine.

I have tried the CMSF 1.11 demo during testing on an ASUS eee 801 (Atom chipset, 8" screen.)

It runs, although a bit too slowly for RT. In WEGO it seemed to cycle through turns ok. (Note that the demo scenarios are not very large battles though.) The graphics displayed fine, although the 3D models are a bit chunky compared to what I'm used to. Pentagonal wheels... The biggest problem I had ( and it would be a biggie for RT ) is that due to the computer's resolution of 1024x600 vs the game's apparent minimum resolution of 1024x768 you have to constantly keep scrolling the screen up and down.

Tests were tried on mains power because the Atom cuts its processing wherever possible on battery.

I really wouldn't recommend one of these as your only CMSF PC.

I have tried the CMSF 1.11 demo during testing on an ASUS eee 801 (Atom chipset, 8" screen.)

It runs, although a bit too slowly for RT. In WEGO it seemed to cycle through turns ok. (Note that the demo scenarios are not very large battles though.) The graphics displayed fine, although the 3D models are a bit chunky compared to what I'm used to. Pentagonal wheels... The biggest problem I had ( and it would be a biggie for RT ) is that due to the computer's resolution of 1024x600 vs the game's apparent minimum resolution of 1024x768 you have to constantly keep scrolling the screen up and down.

Did you try editing the "display size.txt"?

CHANGING GAME RESOLUTION:

By default, the first time the game is launched, the games internal resolution and refresh rate are set to whatever your desktop display is currently set to. We have added two ways to make adjustments to this settings.

From inside the game, go to the Main Menu, then select the Options panel. From there you can select the game to run at the following resolutions:

Desktop = (the game will run at whatever resolution your desktop is set to)

1024x768

1152x864

1280x960

If you want to run the game in a resolution and refresh rate not listed, you can manually configure these settings by editing the "display size.txt" file located in your game directory. Simply change the numbers that you see there with the width (in pixels) and height (in pixels) and refresh rate (in Hertz) you wish to run the game.

Example: For 1440x900 at 75Hz refresh rate, you would delete the numbers in that file and replace with "1440 900 75" (without quotes).

If you put in all zeroes example: 0 0 0, the game will revert to using your desktop resolution and refresh rate.

Exercise caution and only use a resolution and refresh rate supported by your monitor as damage to your monitor or display adaptor could occur, especially if you use too high a setting.

Did you try editing the "display size.txt"?

Sure did, but just to be certain I've reinstalled the demo and tried again. I can enter 1024 600 60 as often as I like, or desktop, but the game keeps resetting to 1024x768.

It is playable in wego, but scrolling about isn't the smoothest experience. I turned 3d model quality to minimum (which is still miles better than CM1).

Also the smallest size font is blurry but understandable.

(note: I meant eee 900A with 9" screen. Not sure how I got to 8s...)