WW II Soldier Slang Killing You? Solution available if you're quick!

After floundering badly (read, utterly perplexed at times) while reading some of the British and CW military jargon in the CMAK GUIDE, I realized I needed some help on dealing with such period accounts in the future. Doubtless some of you have had similar experiences while reading military history not from your part of the world. Would you believe Osprey has us covered, in the form of the handy little camouflage cloth covered hardback called FUBAR: Soldier Slang of World War II, by Gordon Rottman? Covers U.S. Army, Marines, British, Aussies, Kiwis, Germans, Japanese and Russians, with the non English languages transliterated into English. This thing's an information gold mine! Even better, it's being blown out in one or more major chains as a bargain book, and is it ever! Having been badly burned because I didn't jump on a similar opportunity to obtain an anthology of freshly written Sherlock Holmes stories in a similar opportunity, I urge you to act quickly, for when they're gone, they're gone. Moon, I hope this meets your posting criteria!

On a completely unrelated note, some of you may like to know that Osprey has released a quite insightful analysis of the Sherman Firefly vs. the Tiger 1. Has some Firefly shots I've never seen despite having Feist's special study in MILITARY PANORAMA NO. 1, to include and actual faked structural muzzle brake part way down the barrel.

Regards,

John Kettler

Michael Emrys,

Yes, indeed! Many tens of percentage points less! Deal I described may be at brick and mortar establishments only, but I'm not sure. Major firm not associated with gigantic river, as you saw from your own research.

People,

My apologies to the Canadians, whom I inadvertently left out. Also, I see I was redundant in my phrasing and failed to catch it. Oops!

Regards,

John Kettler

• 2 weeks later...

I got that book a while back. It's eye-opening. I've found it quite useful for my yet-to-be-first-drafted Ostfront Landser novel (strictly historical, mind you -- no post-modern goody-two-shoe-ing or hindsight-is-20/20 reworking of the realities).

I too dig Osprey's slim (and sometimes not-so-slim) volumes. :D

Ah, the Firefly.... Perhaps not Michael Wittman's bane, but nonetheless a tank that didn't have to get within spitting distance to take out a Tiger (though it could still be taken out by a Tiger from almost any range).