MGs and low walls: LOS error?

I encounter this most times that I have an MG deployed on the roof of a building. I say most times because not all buildings have parapets of the same height, whereas a few have seemingly no parapet. In most cases, deploying an MG on a rooftop is counterproductive because the parapet blocks LOS. You'd think that instead of put the MG on its bipod and setting the bipod on the roof itself, they would deploy the bipod and put the bipod legs on the parapet...but I guess it isn't modeled so particularly.

So I don't think it's an LOS error per se, but rather an unfortunate side effect of stance coding.

I suppose an undeployed MMG has somewhat less accuracy than a deployed one, but suboptimal accuracy is better than no LOS. lol

I'm still concerned that the AI might deploy its MGs behind walls, blocking its own LOS this way.

True, the AI may well do that. But typically the AI is more than able to plaster me (or at least try to do so) with rooftop-positioned MGs and/or AGLs (as in "USMC The Old City"). heh

MGs can be deployed fine on roofs without parapets, roofs with parapets effectively block LOF (but not LOS since the other guys on the team will normally crouch to see over the parapet). Unfortunately this severely limits MG usability in some scenarios, where the building you really want you MG on has the parapet.

I don't think I've ever tried deploying an MG on any floor of a building except the roof...does anyone know whether this works?

You'd think that instead of put the MG on its bipod and setting the bipod on the roof itself, they would deploy the bipod and put the bipod legs on the parapet...but I guess it isn't modeled so particularly.

The bipod is what's used undeployed (who in the world would mess with a 240 in the prone unsupported?), setting the gun to deploy has the crew setup the full tripod and T&E. And if you have a (stable) way to setup a tripod on a parapet, some very active people in the DoD would be grateful to hear it.

So I don't think it's an LOS error per se, but rather an unfortunate side effect of stance coding.

It's realistic as is. Tripods aren't suitable everywhere.

I don't think I've ever tried deploying an MG on any floor of a building except the roof...does anyone know whether this works?

It should as of v1.10. From the 1.10 patch notes:

Machineguns may "deploy" inside buildings, though assembly time is 2+ minutes.

Yes, I've deployed MGs inside buildings since 1.10.

Funny thing is, I used to issue the deploy command and left the units alone. I never checked whether they actually had LOS to the target. They seemed to shoot, though... But it was only the other day when I noticed that walls totally block LOS for deployed MGs.