Saving/Autosaving - possible fix in future versions ?

This isn't high priority for CM, but maybe for CM2.

OK, I am running Athlon 1.33, this baby gets pretty hot anyway, but in CM it runs to its limits. Although I have the very best Chrome Orb to cool it down, occasionaly it locks up because of overheating and I am forced to press Reset. When I reboot, the last auotsave is ALWAYS corrupted. Even if save the game manually before each action playback, it will also be corrupted after Reset. The only solution is to save to one file then save to another file, then in case of Reset the former will be OK.

To my understanding, the file doesn't get closed properly/fully after write operation.

Please try to fix it in CM2 smile.gif

[ 05-26-2001: Message edited by: dima ]

Dima,

I haven't seen that problem. I have a 1.1 Athlon which runs plenty hot, but I have played CM for hours on end with no lock-ups or issues to speak of. When I have had problems, usually when I am running all sorts of other things in the background, I am able to re-boot and use the autosave.

Are you running other programs while CM is running? smile.gif

No, I don't run anything else in the background. The issue here is one and only - my CPU gets hot, despite all the cooling. I am forced to underclock it when playing CM.

All they have to do is get save/autosave file properly closed after writing is complete and test it under Win2K with RESET button.

What goes on inside CM is prety weird - CPU usage is at 100% ALL THE TIME, doesn't matter if I am doing playback or simply looking at my units and not moving anything.

I am not a big expert on concurrent C++ programming under Win32 platform, but I belive that if programe is idle - it shouldn't just run empty loops thus keeping CPU usage at 100%

Any Win32 expert care to correct the last statement ?

CM does request that the file writes immediately. I have seen issues with Win2K that seem to be related to some of the file/directory settings that are selectable including indexing. Play with those advanced settings as I have a Win2K box here and I have never had a corrupted autosave and I have tried like hell to replicate this issue.

Madmatt

dima - You're probably correct about the AutoSave file not being closed, and thus becoming corrupt and unusable after a lockup. I'm not sure how Charles has autosave coded up. He may just re-open a file as soon as it is closed (depending where the player is at during the game) to maintain a single, up-to-date autosave file. In addition to that IDE drives are CPU dependent for a bunch of their read/write operations - therefore any CPU unstability can cause potential hard drive data problems.

I think the big issue here is that your CPU is locking up way too often. Are you overclocking your Athlon to achieve 1.33GHz or is your Athlon actually rated for that speed ? What motherboard are you running it on and do you have the capability to adjust voltages for the CPU ? What is the contact material between the heatsink and the CPU (silicone grease, thermal rubber gasket, etc.) ?

The CPU is true 1.33 Mhz, I have Chrome Orb and there is a paste between CPU and heatsink, the one that came with the cooler. MB is ASUS A7V133. The voltage is default, I did play with it though.

It doesn't lock-up often, maybe once every three-four games. I'll try disabling indexing, maybe that'll help.

BTW, CM is the only game where I get lock-ups. I checked the temperature monitor and no othe game gets CPU so hot. Not really CM's fault though smile.gif

[ 05-30-2001: Message edited by: dima ]

I've had the same problem as you've described, but only when overclocking. I would suggest that you replace the chrome orb and also increase the cooling of your case. I have experienced good results with a volcano 2 (currently 39`C CPU is 1.33 on Iwill KK266r).