Some bugs with importing Syrian core units

mercury.jpg

Possibly my most boring screenshot posted on this forum EVER. SO why am I bothering? It would appear that sometimes, when you import core units into a campaign mission, you import more than just the units. Lake Mercury is one of the five small lakes in my 'Lakes' mission and I named it as a Landmark. Last night, I was working on the map for my finale and lo and behold, this landmark popped up in the map corner.

This actually isn't the first time I've seen this happen either. It happened in another mission too and there were a whole group of landmarks. They were also distributed on the new map in the same pattern that they were in the original map. Unfortunatley I didn't take a screen shot at the time so it remains anecdotal.

Okay, that's really not a particularly important bug is it. But what about the next photo?

supersquad.jpg

Once again, I reported this earlier. It would appear that when I import Company D into a mission, sometimes, not always, the ATGM teams appear as one single amalgamated squad. If any of you have played 'Hasrabit' you will also have seen the Republican Guard's MG teams getting glued together in the 'Hill 142' mission to name one.

One last bug is that the Battalion FOS unit doesn't get his GAZ jeep when the missions are complied. So he's going to have to hoof it or get by with a little help from his friends in this mission. Once again, anyone who has played 'Perdition' will probably have noticed this too.

These all appear to be problems with the Syrian side played as Blue only as they'd already have been caught if they were US. And they only seem to occur with core units. The GAZ jeep ALWAYS appears in the non-compiled mission and I've never seen amalgamated Syrian weapon teams in a scenario either.

It would be nice if we could get these little wrinkles sorted out sometime.

Paper Tiger,

The Core Unit's file that you make should have nothing but units, briefings, and short description IIRC. Things like Landmarks have no purpose in the file so I'm not sure why you have them in there (if I understand you correctly). So it would appear the simple solution here is to not have Landmarks in your Core Units file ;) Seriously though, we'll take a look into this and these others.

I'm really surprised there's some sort of unpredictable behavior with Core Units importing. This should never happen and I can't think of ever seeing anything like this before. The system doesn't understand Red, Blue, Squads, Teams, etc... it just copies lists of things from the Core Units file into individual campaign battles. Compiling doesn't do anything special except to combine all the battles into one big file along with the script parameters.

I'd be curious to see if you can replicate these sorts of things with a fresh new file for the Core Units and another fresh new file for a battle. My suspicion is there's some old stuff floating around in there that's getting in the way of things working smoothly.

Steve

tiger,

the "problem" wich is showen on picture two, the 3 team ATGM squad, i had that too at some points(in one case i had a 2 team MG squad...the A and B team of a MG platoon put together).

i think i produced that by deleting and undeleting the unit in question unit in the scenario editor, also it was a scenario wich i put together some versions earlier and than continued after one or two patches.

you can fix that somehow, iam not sure how i did it. try to delet em and undelete em in editor and/or moving them in and out of a vehicle befor deleting. i played around like that and made it to get 3 seperate teams again.

Ha ha. There are no landmarks in my core units file. Those landmarks were from another map in the same CAMPAIGN and the only possible connection I can see between the twop of them is the core units file. Anyway, that really is a minor issue. The gluing together of Syrian weapons teams and the missing GAZ's are a bit of a pain when they happen though. Hopefully, I will be starting up a new campaign quite soon so I'll keep my eyes peeled.

Pandur

Yes, I've deleted them and undeleted them with no success. I suspect that the map 'remembers' if that's somehow possible because the same core units appear fine in other missions. However, once the campaign is compiled and it happens once, it's permanent and it's a real pain. The only way I've been able to work around this issue has been to delete the units from the missions and substitute them with non-core units. they NEVER stick.