I found something gamey last night....

Ok,

Playing hot-seat and controlling both teams on a QB map. I was firing on the syrians and saw his FO pop up (well actually my FO... but let's not get complicated). So as the "Blue" force I clicked on the Syrian FO and it showed his fire fire marker for his artillery right on my men. I saw the green circle and everthing. I clicked on the machinegun units and sure enough I saw their red line makring their area fire. I am pretty sure I even saw the movement lines of the BMPs when I clicked on the Syrians BMPS.

Surely this can not be intended? As naturally speaking if you can see the firing zones and movement of the enemy you can plan accordingly.

Has anyone else noticed this in a hot seat game. I did not use passwords as I was both sides.

--> I was playing hotseat to figure out how sighting works as well as try and set up a fair game for my son to play.

Seeing the attack/move markers is not a big deal but I would think this is an oversight and not an intentional feature of hotseat.

I did a little hotseat test and didn't encounter anything of the sort that you said. Human error is the more likely explanation (I nearly always get confused at some point when I'm playing hotseat vs. myself), but if you have a save game or something of that kind, please share.

Roger that,

I'll check again tonight. Maybe in the heat of battle I got turned around. Pretty sure of myself as the Syrians had a hard time finding any of my men on the ridge where I could see half of his men/armor. So I was looking at all of my men and seeing only some of his. So pretty sure I was "blue' at that time.

I'll check to see if I was confused though...

Roger that,

I'll check again tonight. Maybe in the heat of battle I got turned around. Pretty sure of myself as the Syrians had a hard time finding any of my men on the ridge where I could see half of his men/armor. So I was looking at all of my men and seeing only some of his. So pretty sure I was "blue' at that time.

I'll check to see if I was confused though...

does this mean you have saved the game? If so please send it to me. I will want to track down that particular map and check it for any possible errors... mark.ezra3591@gmail.com Make sure to provide passwords if needed

Falconander, write MarkEzra a short email to the address given in the post just above yours. Tell him briefly what the problem is and attach the save game file as an attachment. Save game files are located in the directory where you installed CM:SF, in the folder "Game Files" (translated into whatever language you play in, could be "Fichiers du jeu", "Archivos de juego" or "Spieldateien"), and there in the folder "Saved Games" (again, translate).

Hope this helps :) Further questions don't hesitate to ask

Falconander, write MarkEzra a short email to the address given in the post just above yours. Tell him briefly what the problem is and attach the save game file as an attachment. Save game files are located in the directory where you installed CM:SF, in the folder "Game Files" (translated into whatever language you play in, could be "Fichiers du jeu", "Archivos de juego" or "Spieldateien"), and there in the folder "Saved Games" (again, translate).

Hope this helps :) Further questions don't hesitate to ask

Yep...that's all there is to it ;)

Mark,

YOu have mail. Back home looking at the game right now and it is showing everything. I can even see Blue's target arcs. My machinegunnner is real happy that is falls short of his position. He can pull out a Mag and catch a smoke.

Saw something else on this map. I am targeting with Blue onto Red even though Red is not a "seen" icon, meaning dull orange and not bright orange. But alas Red cannot target the dull blue Icons.

Is this due to the communication of Blue equipment? I believe this is the case.

Falconander, this is worrying stuff....I haven't played CM:SF Hotseat yet and probably never will (except against myself for testing, still haven't gotten around to those firing ranges NormalDude set up :D), but it sounds like a gamebreaker if it's the way you state :eek:

Falconander, this is worrying stuff....I haven't played CM:SF Hotseat yet and probably never will (except against myself for testing, still haven't gotten around to those firing ranges NormalDude set up :D), but it sounds like a gamebreaker if it's the way you state :eek:

I don't think that this has anything to do with hotseat but everything to do with Basic Training difficulty level. Basic Training is minimal fog of war.

I've played hotseat many times and never noticed anything amiss. Hence, my earlier question about difficulty level. I confess I've never tried basic training level so I have no idea if this complete level of knowledge is normal. (I'll try later today if I find time.)

Regards,

Ken

I'll boost up the difficulty level tonight and see if it persists. It is not really a fog of war deal as lines of sight or still pretty much realistic. Especially in this case where the Blue started high in the hills and were just raining down javalins onto the encampments below. Red could not even see my guys until I got bored and rushed through a hole in the wall to engage them.

Hot seat is pretty cool especially if you have someone you want to show the game. Don't think it is a deal breaker either as if you know it is there, one with honor would not try to exploit it.

Sergei I think is more on line with the difficulty level as it gives you a chance to see what is going on and how the other team is delpoying its forces and weapons.

Kind of cool that with 7,000+ posts this is the first I have seen this come up. Be honest, I kind of like the feature when I am playing against myself as it lets me check the accuracy/effect of my fire. For example I have machine guns set to area fire on the hills. Is this a waste of resources or is this having some effect on impeding/hindering blues forces.

When I am Blue I can see my men as well as the enemy area fire target and determine how effective the area fire is.

On the other hand, that area fire artillery marker right square in the middle of nothing is going to have to move so that is why I call it gamey.

But at Basic Training level you need to learn these lessons so maybe that is why it is present. Thanks for the input so far, any other ideas?

This has been posted to BFC as a Bug Report. It is not a normal action found in Basic Training Hotseat mode...so no further testing need be done on that. The QB map may not be a V1.11 CMSF map. I won't know for sure until tonite...as luck would have it the game is played in pitch black nite.... If it is I'll be able to locate and run a separate test. If it isn't I still might be able to recognize it and find it in my old QBG work files...if it isn't a QBG map I most likely won't be able to find it.

I cannot emphasize how much better off players would be to just use the V1.11 QB Maps (and there are more coming!)

Mark,

THanks for your help. If it is a quirk, don't spend too much time on things. I am fully upgraded to Marines 1.11 so should that not only give me 1.11 maps. I thought I was playing 1.11. Though I did put things on random which might have selected this map.

Do I need to specify 1.11 QB maps somehow and if so what is hte procedure to do this?

Thanks,

Falconander

Mark,

THanks for your help. If it is a quirk, don't spend too much time on things. I am fully upgraded to Marines 1.11 so should that not only give me 1.11 maps. I thought I was playing 1.11. Though I did put things on random which might have selected this map.

Do I need to specify 1.11 QB maps somehow and if so what is hte procedure to do this?

Thanks,

Falconander

If players have added files..including QBG made maps... they may not work right. All the files in V1.11 were either original issue and fixed by me or original QBG Maps and reviewed and fixed as needed. In all cases the orignal file name was preserved to allow for overwrite. But not all QBG Maps made the cut (nor will they) and could possibly impact this problem.

But Most likely the culprit won't turn out to be the map, but some very rare, isolated bug that has risen it's ugly head. In ant event, BFC has been notified.

A word on that great scen map you want to make a QBMap:

Don't drop it into your Quick Battle Maps File until you put it in the editor and do the following:

1. Check the Victory Objectives...make them exactly the same for both sides and large enough so the AI has a good chance of putting troops on it.

2. Check setup areas. Are they big enough to handle all kinds of different troops? Will the AI have a chance to get moving without getting instantly spotted?

3. Check the AI pathing. Is it micro-managed for specific units (Normally the case in a scen..and really sucks for a QB)...? Then Clear them off and use just "Group One" and create nice reasonably large and well spaced movement orders.

4. Delete all AI arty plans for both sides...You'll thank me later!

Don't know what I mean but kinda interested to learn? Just open any V1.11 QB map and see how I did it...then do yours with that simple, broad brush method.