ATI Video card upgrade a mistake?

You seem to be one of those people who determine the quality of a video card exclusively by the amount of memory.

You realize that most high-memory cards are scam? They are built exclusively for people like you. These cards are so slow they can't even visit each memory location during a frame.

In CMSF, have you tried changing the 'ATI left Click Compatibility' setting in the Options? There are a bunch of weird combinations of cards and drivers which can effect whether you want this set to 'On' or 'Off' - it certainly made a significant difference to performance on my old ATI card.

Like Zatoichi said check wether the ATI Left Click Compat. option helps.

It seems to do way more than only 'fixing a left click issue'.

I've got the Sapphire X1950 Pro (AGP) with 512MB which runs a lot of games on full details with very comfortable framerates, but if I deselect the ATI left click option in CMSF my performance behaves very erratic, whereas enabled the game runs smooth as silk.

Same on my laptop with a rather limited ATI Xpress 200M card with 128MB I can run the game with 'balanced' detail levels in CMSF or lower, but only if I have the option enabled, otherwise even Fastest is still too much to get decent results.

Also screen buildup seems to be affected (laptop only) and I get less artifacts with this opion enabled.

It might have a deceiving name, that option. :P

Oh by the way: my laptop runs with the newest cat drivers 8.12 while my desktop runs with older drivers (can't remember which version). More or less same results.