Mid-game Japanese strategy - invade Australia, or pre-empt Stalin?

It's March 1944. Playing as the Japanese against the AI on default settings, I've conquered India and China, and sunk the first American fleet that came out to find me. I'm pulling in about 850 MPP a turn. My ships are back in home port getting repairs and all the latest upgrades, and now I'm wondering where my 20+ armies should go for their summer vacation.

Australia is an obvious choice, especially because the Americans are using it to send transports towards Java. But it looks awfully big and empty. And after I captured China, the USSR's war percentage climbed from 48% to 72%. My diplomats have been doing their best, but Stalin hasn't budged. If there's going to be fighting on that front soon, then I'd prefer it to be on terms of my choosing, i.e. a pre-emptive declaration and invasion. Especially if I can grab a foothold before his industry really kicks into high gear.

Any opinions one way or the other? This is the first game I've played this far along, so I don't know just how big and angry the Russian bear will be if I wake it :)

March '44? Unless you've got units ready to go near Australia and can hit both the east AND western sides, I'd say it's too late to go after them. Russia will ramp up soon and you'll have your hands full if you don't hit them before they join. I'd recommend getting units maxed up in technology and reinforcements, move them into place, and take a shot at the USSR. Unless you're concerned about the USA coming (and they will!).