Trouble facing vehicles with the AI

OK so im playing around with a scenario i designed and im having trouble facing vehicles in the direction of the enemy. basically this is what happens. my vehicles move to the assigned waypoint then after a few moments they turn around and face the direction they just came from. it also seems to occur with infantry as well. anyway, i have looked around on the forum and seen others have had this problem as well. but i have played many a scenario where it doesnt seem to happen. if some one could shed some light on this that would be great.

thanks

steve-o

ever notice that whenever you ask for help things seem to miraculously work?

anyway i have 1.11 the plan is for 3 AAVs to move to a position then drop off a platoon of marines, no enemy in sight. i may have had an additional way point added and that may have caused the problem. i removed all waypoints after the disembark order, which was in conjunction with a movement order. all seemed to work fine other than the tracks bunching together at the drop off point. not sure how to fix that , perhaps a bigger map point?

then i decided to make an additional way point just to see if it would work. all seemed well up until after the grunts were dropped off then they (the AAVs) turned around. this only lasted about a minute, probably less then the tracks spead off to there next destination.

is there a way to establish a direction for the vehicles to face?

steve-o

SD Smack,

There is no way to do this. We don´t actually have waypoints in the editor, but areas with orders and no way to choose facing.

One thing that could be causing this is the Blue Friendly Direction/ Red Friendly Direction. Check this in the editor.

This is important. For instance if your troops are facing a difficult situation and need to retreat they will retreat normally in that direction. Of course there are other variables in play but this is the general rule.

Could it be that you started your mission with your troops in the Red Direction (eg. West) moving towards the Blue Direction (East) and this way when they stop they look back to face the enemy direction?

-

I did mess around with the Red/Blue Force Directions and it seemed to not make a difference. at least not one i could see. through testing i noticed that if the vehicles do not have an additional order they tend to stay facing a some what reasonable direction, however if there is a follow on order they turn around.

"We don´t actually have waypoints in the editor, but areas with orders and no way to choose facing."

your right, poor choice of worfd on my part, im using the map zone as a way point to be occupied until moving to the next map zone/order.

one option would be to use the commands while on the deploy screen in the editor to make the AI inputs. but im not a programmer so i will stop spewing my ignorance!

thanks for the help flamingknives and webwing, i am just going to continue to play with the AI until i get the result im looking for (or throw my computer against the wall, whichever comes first :-D )

steve-o