I just saw the most amazing bit of detail...

Several months back, I read an article on suppressors for .50 cal. sniper rifles. I can't recall which one of the firearms-related magazines it was in, but what was interesting was that the designer of the suppressor, instead of just "simply" designing a typical suppressor with predictable results (with the emphasis mostly being on reducing how audible the fired weapon is), spent a large chunk of time interviewing those who actually rely on the weapon, asked them what they wanted most, a more silent weapon, or one that reduced the visual indicators as to where they were, and almost without exception, their greatest desire was to be equipped with a suppressor that reduced the enormous dust cloud that was formed when the weapon was fired.

So, this designer did just that. While this suppressor does marginally reduce how loud the weapon is when fired, without question it substantially reduced the amount of dust that was drummed up. According to the article, out of all the suppressors thus far designed for a .50 cal., his was the one in most demand.