Campaign Design Issue-How to Deal with Defeat?

My Marine rifle platoon mini-campaign, now re-titled "From the Dawn to the Setting Sun," is non-dynamic. I want the player to re-start a failed mission. Problem is, how can I do that and give them back just the casualties incurred during the mission? I can't have the campaign end there, because if you lose the last mission you still end up with a win if you've won the previous four.

Thanks!

In a non-dynamic campaign I would simply exit the player from the campaign if he failed one of the missions and he would have to resort to the auto save that he has from the start of the mission. There's nothing much you can do about the final mission. I would just leave it up to the individual player to decide if he wants to rest on his laurels from his earlier victories. After all, he did win four out of five missions. Personally, I'd reload and try again until I got the satisfaction of a win in the finale as would many others I suspect.

Hope that helps. Good luck mate

My Marine rifle platoon mini-campaign, now re-titled "From the Dawn to the Setting Sun," is non-dynamic. I want the player to re-start a failed mission. Problem is, how can I do that and give them back just the casualties incurred during the mission? I can't have the campaign end there, because if you lose the last mission you still end up with a win if you've won the previous four.

Thanks!

In your script file, point the player back to the same scenario he just played for a "loss". For the casualties, set the reinforcements to be similar to the casualty ratings that define what a loss is. If you avoid mixing in (too many) other objectives you will have a fairly good estimate of what a player lost on average in order to qualify for that loss. It's not exact, but it's not intended to be (in real life it wouldn't be exact either). Otherwise, the suggestion to simply end the campaign and let the player restart from an autosave is pretty good, too.