After installing Combat Mission AK all system icons are missing

I installed Afrika Korps tonight.

AFter running the game for a few minute I quit out.

When I got to my desktop all of my icons were all set to the same random windows icon (looked like a networking icon from control panel) . All the icons in my start menu were as well.

I restarted and then all the icons were set to the "Default" icon. Meaning no icon at all. They all work. Shortcuts and start menu icons all are functional.

Here is the wierdest part.

Not only is the combat mission game missing after the system restore. No where to be found but

I can reset my games and other program icons by using the "properties/select icon" on each one, one at a time.

But on ANY windows Icons I cannot set them. Like "My computer" ect.

I went deep into my hard drives and found that all the icons and thumbnails are gone as well. I cannot set many of the items because there is no option under "Poperties " to select ann icon.

So all my Icons are screwed. And it is making me very upset.

I have no idea why this happened. I just want it fixed.

I have tried a sytem restore. Registry fixing program and windows repair.

Odd thing is that some of the icons came back after the first restart. Some of them were even windows icons like Word and weblink/url icon.

But all the ones that use the EXACT same icon, I cannot reset them. It just kinda does millisecond flash and stays the same.

I have done a search in this forum on Desktop icons and Icons ect.

SO I guess this is just me?

The version I am running is 1.03 from the "combat mission anothogly" disk set.

please please help.

thank you in advance.

I somewhat doubt that CMAK is the specific cause of all your problems. There is nothing really unique about CMAK that would cause such a problem. The CDV CM Anthology actually lacks the copy protection mechanisms that CDV used in previous versions of CM they've distributed. My guess is that possibly installing any other program or game may have caused this issue.

Which version of Windows are you running ? I assume that it is XP, but I don't know for sure. The 'Windows icons' are set from the registry to my knowledge (their presence on the desktop and which icon image they're using).

Which videocard do you have and what driver version are you using ? You may want to try uninstalling and reinstalling (or updating) your video driver. You may also want to change resolutions and color depths to see if that has any effect. This should force a redrawing of the screen and reloading of the icons. This assumes that the problem is strictly video in nature rather than registry-based.

If none of those options improve the situation, then you most likely have some sort of registry corruption. If the registry tools didn't correct this problem for you (and I don't know what to recommend that would actually work in this situation), then you may be looking at reinstalling Windows (and all of the security patches/updates you've applied). Obviously not a pleasant course of action.

The only other thing to try would be copying the particular desktop registry settings from a computer using the same Windows version and then importing them to yours. Of course you need to find another computer with the same OS and find the particular registry settings. I can possibly help with that when you tell me the particular version of Windows that you're running (but it will take a little time).

well i found an article online that told me to goto desktop properties and er appearance/advanced/icons (buttons in that order, not folders) Changes the icon size by 1 pixel. This forced windows to re-read the icons and they all appeared. Veyr odd problem though. This more my PCcilling scan found a "Intenet explorer cache" spyware/mallware. and removed it. I wonder if that was it? I have no idea where I picked that up as I was working all day and didn't touch my PC until I installed the game. The few times I did use my PC for printing it was find, so I have no idea. I didn't think it was the game either, but I had to cover all my bases and by the time I posted here I had exhasted all my attempts to fix it.

I did re-install the game an ran it, it did not duplicate the problem.