75 years since the greatest moment in US history

ironbar

Exactly. I enjoy bringing up the legalization of prostitution to the feminist (and others) who say a woman should be able to do what she wants with her body (they are normally saying this about abortion). Funny, whenever I ask them if that means we should legalize prostitution they suddenly change their tune. Same applies to legalizing drug use. If a woman wants to shoot heroin into her body, shouldn’t that be her choice? Usually they are against that as well. So when it comes right down to it, they aren’t really for a woman to have the right to do what she wants with her body. A bunch of hypocrites if you ask me.

One of the most vocal feminists I know supports legalizing prostitution. Feminists are a very diverse group, and, as in all groups, many make sense, many don't.

We had a case here a few years ago where a female doctor had set up a brothel and bulk billed the government for the service provided (i.e. she claimed that health benefits were being provided and billed the government appropriately (yes, this is Australia, universal healthcare is the aim)).

I don't recall if the "patients" were required to contribute more than a token to the payment.

A great business model - it works for everyone except the wowsers.

In my opinion, she got it spot on: unfortunately, the taxation department couldn't see it that way.

As far as legalisation of drugs goes - Adam Smith reckoned that 6% growth was a pretty good aim point for growth in an agrarian society. These days, 3% is fantastic -if the society finds itself having to support another 3% of its productive members (say) lost to drug use, then it is going to find it difficult to provide the fundamental growth in wealth that backs up the capitalist system. Worse, children growing up in a drug taking household nexcessarily have fewer resources provided and thus fewer opportunities to climb the wealth ladder.