Uninstall help?

Wife gave me CMBB for Christmas, I installed, but am finding it just doesn't light my fire. Not much of a gamer. I notice it doesn't appear in the Add/Remove software list, and there are no removal instructions(that I've found). Anything I need to know before I just start deleting?

You can delete the whole folder - it is a DOS based game so has no interconnects with the operating system AFAIK. Its never failed me when I have deleted and re-installed.

However I agree with Costard that it would be a mistake to delete. I am not sure what scenarios you have been playing but it is truly a great game. However there are certainly bum scenarios and early war with Russian delay the game is rather ponderous if you are not a committed player.

My advice would be to set up a 1945 Russian attack and go reasonably tank heavy and just enjoy the bangs and wallops as you lose to the Germans. This is OK as you will have fun learning all the weapons effectiveness in a fun way. Do that a few times and you will appreciate how to use them even if you do not have any WW2 knowledge.

For added fun for viewing eye level 1 and Tab will get you on board your tank as it rides to glory or destruction. Played for laughs you will learn quickly. It is fatal to spend 15 minutes on a turn and then lose in a minute. Spend two minutes on orders and you will learn and have enjoyment 7 times as fast.

I have played probably 200 plus games against humans and believe me it is a fun game if you don't get anal about winning.

If after everything you decide to chop the game in please look around for someone who might give it a crack.

You can delete the whole folder - it is a DOS based game

Huh? CMBB works on Windows 95 which is DOS based, but the game most definately is a Windows game. That being said, if nothing else works then just delete the whole thing. That alternative might leave some loose ends in your registry, but probably nothing spectacular compared to all the other irrelevant trash that is gathered there over time.

Just don't tell your wife. ;)

Thanks gents, I was sort of thinking it might be just DOS, but it's been so long since I've seen one of these, I wasn't sure. The game MUST be good to have lasted this long. Maybe I'll hang on to it and give it a few more tries, taking your advice to heart. I suppose it's a bit like CAD, very interesting and helpful, but only after one spends the time to master the user interface.

Am based in Minnesota, USA

This was posted in an AAR at WeBoB which just shows how Fate, as in real war, can be the one having the most fun. But despite that it is stioll fun to play : )

I decided on a "come and get me" approach to this scenario as it seemed from the briefing that there was going to be a heavy armour clash later in the game, at which I would probably be at a disadvantage if I tried to fight it out in the open. So I basically let the two minor flags on the road fall into control of the advancing Germans, but set my units up as they arrived to make a push for the major flag an expensive proposition for the attacker.

First blood went to the Germans as one of my overwatch Daimler's fell to 20mm cannon fire. I then counted myself lucky as a Stuart took out a 75mm HT despite first receiving a "gun hit" which caused no damage. Shortly afterwards I took out another HT to make the score 2-1 in vehicles. And those were the only vehicles killed in the entire game!

As the Axis Panthers pushed their way up the road I progressively managed a turret penetration with a Firefly, a partial turret penetration with a 75mm, a side penetration with a piat, and side and turret penetration with another Firefly. The last three on the same tank. No Kills! And there was a 40mm penetration from a Daimler on a HT scouting on the side of the map. I didn't have much sympathy for my opponent when the Panther which had just survived the piat srike missed a Sherman with one shot from 90m :)

When the game ended I discovered I had caused some damage. Two of the Panthers (and the HT on the side of the map) had gun damages taking them out of the game and one had a crew casualty. One of my opponents Panther's also was immobile towards the rear so it appeared to have got itself bogged.

You have to laugh! All that suspense about cunning enemy moves and he is waltzing around with gun damaged kitties. I have a current game myself with two minutes to go and I was thinking myself doomed to a loss when my opponent plays boldly and I end up with two Shermans to my score - from depression to elation in 60 seconds. I might just sneak a draw. : )