Improved movement into buildings

When ordering troops into buildings, infantry always seem to run in looking for a window position like it's a parking spot at Christmas time. Would it be possible to program the AI to have the lead squad member stop inside the doorway and screen potential targets in the building?

I guess it is disconcerting to have to imagine that those buildings aren't actually empty, as they appear in the game. It's still jarring, though to have a guy run into the room and then several seconds later the enemy pops into LOS like he just materialized on the spot.

Again, is this a function of delays caused by CPU spotting updates? Or is it a function of some timed function for troops to acquire visual contact? In other words, a limitation of the game engine, or is it supposed to work like that?

Interesting topic.

Your suggestion is certainly tied to the question, how strongly the graphical representation of combat inside a building is coupled to the actual resolution of this combat. To answer this question would require intimate knowledge of the underlying algorithms. I doubt that anyone short of Charles himself could answer.

For example, I routinely see soldiers firing from one corner of a building to the other one as if there are no walls in between. With this degree of abstraction, more detailed simultion of movement behavior inside is probably not fruitful, anyway.

Best regards,

Thomm

To further argument the question, I have noticed that sometimes the troops getting into a room are firing upstair. Do they have a clue of some hidden enemies throught the staircase ? (which isn't shown graphically).

In some other room assault not small ones but mid size to great size, the troops are either firing or not and they don't have any enemy or enemies to fight in the room. Then after some delay rather short 5 to 10 seconds, generally one or two, three at the most of them appear from nowhere.

You knew however from the approach that they where in the house. I assume, they hide to counter attack the troops assaulting once they are deployed inside.

That's what I figured out from quite a few house clearing, which are usually rather costly in casualties, since it is rather difficult to evaluate the size of the defender.

If you have an option let me know.

• 2 weeks later...

For example, I routinely see soldiers firing from one corner of a building to the other one as if there are no walls in between. With this degree of abstraction, more detailed simultion of movement behavior inside is probably not fruitful, anyway.

Best regards,

Thomm

I was going to start a new topic, but found this snippet in this older thread. You are correct. And I guess it is a bug? Upon further testing, I found this was only true when the walls of two buildings are ADJOINED to each other. In my tests, once I had separated the two buildings with even minimal space, the "shoot through the corner" trick didn't work anymore for the AI and I was able to approach the windowless buildings without being spotted.

P.S. I am stating with this also that it is not only possible to fire between two adjoined buildings, but also fire out of the buildings using the "secret spy corner" trick.