Question from Noobie

Hello, I just purchased this game and I'm confused about the game set-up phrase "stick to scenario default". Obviously this pertains to computer AI, troop numbers, equipment, weather conditions etc. What is not clear to me is ... does the player (ie: myself) have to accept how my troops and equipment are origanized by the designer or can I place my forces anywhere within their particular coloured zone(s)? The manual does mention a phrase "free to place troops etc" but I think this is meant for the computer? I've been playing the game by starting the engagement with placing my forces within their colour zones at the start. I think when it says "stick to the scenario default" I may be doing something the designer didn't want the player to do? In such a case the true or proper unflolding of the battle could be lost. Any help in clarifying this term is appreciated. BB

Welcome to the forum Bazza.

The scenario designer often has plan in mind for the overall "feel" of a scenario - so s/he might set up an Axis Attack vs A.I. In this case, as the Allied defender he might have scoped the defender's ground and found some truly nasty surprise with which to smight the unwary - the un-hittable AT gun is always a pain to an armoured attacker, for example. If you let the AI stick to the default setups you allow the scenario designer to influence the play - if you let the AI do its own setup you'll likely have an easier task due to inappropriate placement of units. Minefield and wire placements comes into their own as an art in this game, the AI rarely places these well.

Kingfish sticks out as a scenario designer who uses this to effect, in my experience.

Welcome to the board BB! These kinds of posts bring back memories.:)

The "stick to scenario default" or "free to place" options have nothing to do with your setup, troop numbers, equipment, or weather conditions. It only pertains to the AI at the setup phase.

As for your setup zone, you can do whatever you like. If the designer wanted restrictions on your zones than he can and will limit your options.

Oh and one more thing, the AI is dumb as nails when on the attack. Only play as the attacker or meeting engagements.