CD Data error (cyclic redundancy)

Hi Guys,

Just did a repair install of windows and was trying to load up CMBB, but after most of it installs comes to a halt with the above dreaded error.

Is there any solution beyond picking up a another cheap copy somewhere?

At least I can still load CMBB up normally except that there's no scenarios in the folder, and really I don't know what else is missing. Does anyone know where/how I can check the complete set of BMP and Wav files?

Cheers

Member # 16711

- posted 19-02-2005 02:16 AM Profile for Len Lewis Email Len Lewis Edit/Delete Post Reply With Quote Have installed CMBO, CMBB, & CMAK to my old PC with Windows ME with no problems. Just loaded CMBO & AK on my new PC with Windows XP Prof. with no problems. But....CMBB won't install. Gets through unpacking .BMPs and WAVs, Progress Bar moves all the end to the end and then it hangs up and says "Data reading error", "Cyclic Redundancy Error" and stops doing anything. Tried both my CD and DVD drives, tried Safe Mode, tried copying packed file to HD, tried various compatability modes....same issue. Can anyone help me? Is this XP or a faulty disk? As the other two programs install OK, it has me puzzled. Neither optical drive has given me any problems in loading or running 40+ games. Thanks, in advance. Posts: 1 | Registered: Feb 2005 | IP: Logged

dieseltaylor

Member # 4024

- posted 19-02-2005 06:15 PM Profile for dieseltaylor Email dieseltaylor Edit/Delete Post Reply With Quote The CDV disk was always a bugger. What version are you using? Have you cleaned the CD?

It may be you will have to return it as faulty. : (

--------------------

Very happy user of Mozilla Firefox [over 400 million downloads since Nov 9th 2004],the famous Irfanview, Mozilla Thunderbird and PBEMHelper!

Redwolf

Member # 3665

- posted 19-02-2005 06:18 PM Profile for Redwolf Author's Homepage Email Redwolf Edit/Delete Post Reply With Quote A large part of the original CMBB disks (BFC release) were broken and could only be installed on "lucky" CD-ROM drives.

Try making a personal backup on your old PC and install from the backup on your XP machines. Posts: 7887 | Registered: Oct 2000 | IP: Logged

If you have an anti-virus/"internet security" program running (installed), you may want to temporarily disable it and perform the install. Sometimes anti-virus programs interfere with the unpacking of files. Another method to try is to copy all of the installation files to a directory on your hard drive and then perform the installation from there (the CD won't be needed until you attempt to play a game).

In the distant past there were some initial batches of the BFC version of the game that were manufactured in a manner that made the discs a bit hard to read for some CD/DVD drives. I assume that isn't the case for you here (since you had it installed previously on the same hardware).