Game gets Laggy???

PvtTom

I had this problem with Beyond Overlord and now I am having it with the demo, every 20 seconds or so the whole game gets real laggy it lasts for 10 seconds or so then goes back to normal, it does this off and on the whole time I play, I am not sure if this is another XP/GeForce3 problem or not, don't see anyone else having it. I check my CPU usage but it is only 10% or so, anyone have any ideas?

P4 2.0

XP

GeForce 3

512 mem

Have you checked your system for viruses lately? I was having a very similar problem, and it turned out the wonderful Klez virus was busy running in the background on a regular basis. Finally got Norton Antivirus up and running, killed the virus, and the lags went away. Most apps didn't notice, but it was very noticeable in CMBO. This may not be your problem, but it's worth taking a look.

Good luck,

Carl

What do you have running in the background ? Since CM keeps the CPU real busy, anything that requires attention from the CPU will 'interfere' with CM while it is in the foreground. Does this happen consistenly if you just move the mouse around the 3D screen without doing anything else ?

What USB devices do you have hooked up ?

I can't recall off hand if P4 chipsets have ACPI configure all PCI/AGP devices to one IRQ or not. I believe the Intel 850 chipset (and probably the 845) don't do this and instead assign their 'expanded' list of IRQs to devices individually. However if more than one device is sharing an IRQ, especially with the sound or video card, then that device may be interfering.