WW2 Infantry Tactics - Great Site

Hello all,

Been lurking for a bit, and this is my first time posting. I am more an ancient history guy, but have recently discovered CMx1, and have been developing a keen interest in WW2-era infantry tactics of all major nations involved. I am still getting my bearings, as the phalanxes give ways to the V-formations, and contubernia give way to squads, but I am getting there.

Anyways, I am sure this link has been posted in the past, although I have been unable to find it, I have found it of great help. True, it doesn't quote too many sources, but it is good for a beginner such as I.

http://www.bayonetstrength.150m.com/Tactics/infantry_tactics_of_world_war_tw.htm

Of particular interest of me have been the infantry tactics of rifle squads, platoons, and companies (those that apply most to CM).

Some quotes, concerning company level tactics:

The V shape provided the most popular method of handling the Rifle Company in the attack. Its logic was founded on the maxim that a reserve should always constitute at least one third of the force available.

Two Platoons would advance in parallel, the third held back in support. The lead Platoons would observe a boundary between themselves to prevent Squads becoming mixed up, but their commanders would still seek to maintain contact with their flank protection.

It was felt that this advance on a twin axis allowed the greatest flexibility. The two Platoons could offer each other mutual fire support, one covering while the second moved. Within the Platoons the tactics described in the previous segment would be enacted.

Concerning mortar platoons:

Unlike their counterparts serving machine guns and anti-tank guns, mortar crews did not have to be able to see their target to hit it. The range of the 81 mm type mortar meant it was unusual if they did. As a result, mortar crews could use natural barriers, such as woods, buildings or terrain to shield themselves from enemy view. This was a tactic not available to other men of the Battalion, who had to obviate such features to target the enemy.

It was also something of a double-edged sword, in that for the mortars to accurately target the enemy, they relied upon what became ever more sophisticated methods of fire control.

There is really a plethora of information that can all be readily applied to CMx1, and also help you further understand the intricacies of this great series. Sure, it may not all be of grognard-quality, but it's a great beginning, an a great resource for WW2 era tactics. Platoon level formations, company level ones, antitank platoon tactics, etc. Great stuff! WHat is really fun is trying out the fundamental tactics of the different nations (say, German and American), within the game and judging how it all turns out.

I found that most useful because I'm a bit of an ignoramus as far as tactics are concerned, but I want to learn more. Thanks for posting.

Any other suggestions for sites that provide good basic information, particularly with regard to armour?

I am glad it's useful to you! It's really quite informative, and expands a bit on why, say, German Rifle squads may have two LMGs, while Allied squads may only have one.

I haven't come across anything concerning armor, YET, as I am still trying to absorb the infantry side of things. The website I posted has a short article on armor-infantry combined arms operations:

http://www.bayonetstrength.150m.com/Tactics/CombinedOps/tank-infantry%20cooperation.htm