loading PBEM files

What email service are you using ? Is it a web-based service like Yahoo or Hotmail ? If so, when you attempt to download a file does it bring up a new browser window with a bunch of junk text ? How do you cut & paste this text to a text editor (in other words, do you copy everything or start and stop at certain points) ?

If none of these are the issue, then it's possible somehow that the file is getting corrupted at some point in sending it (very rare, but a possibility). I highly suggest some form of compression for these PBEM files, especially once you send large movie files.

I have also had issues with files I receive from people who are using a MAC. While I have heard that it is not supposed to make a difference, it does make a difference for me. I test quite a few scenarios and one of the folks that I test for runs a MAC. When I get his files if they are not zipped I can't load them. I am on a PC.

My $0.02

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ACTOR:

I have also had issues with files I receive from people who are using a MAC. While I have heard that it is not supposed to make a difference, it does make a difference for me. I test quite a few scenarios and one of the folks that I test for runs a MAC. When I get his files if they are not zipped I can't load them. I am on a PC.

My $0.02<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

FWIW, I can't load any AARs from Combatmission.com :-( I get an Error 3 Crash :-((

:confused:

No clue why. Can't be e-mail problems, as I download the files from the website....

Any ideas?? Many thankxx in advance!! smile.gif

Freddy

[ 08-10-2001: Message edited by: Kolonel FLW ]

"Any ideas?? Many thankxx in advance!! smile.gif"

Follow up!

Fionn Kelly was so kind to answer my e-mail to him *muy pronto*. :cool:

It seems that you can only re-play (in the VCR sense of the word) PBEMs if you have the r'ight' version of CM.

I.E.: if you try to download a PBEM (or AAR) that was produced in an earlier version of CM, you're out of luck .... Won't work ...

While this is hardly news, I still have to wonder why this is? I mean, differences between versions can hardly be so different, as to cause severe problems (crashing, crashing *real* hard)?

This is puzzeling, to say the least :confused:

Freddy

(Got Fionn's last name correct this time smile.gif

[ 08-10-2001: Message edited by: Kolonel FLW ]