Help / precision on "defend" function

SG1

Hello everyone,

I have some difficulty grasping the full subtlety of the “defend” function. Could someone bring enlightenment ?

I understand the “defend” function allows to attach one unit to some other unit, with the latter being then followed by the first one whenever it moves. I find this useful to ensure that the man carrying a machine gun or some anti-tank weapon is not separated from the man carrying extra ammo for the said weapon.

I also understand how to attach infantry soldiers to a vehicle, say a tank. But then I have two observations or problems. First one is that the tank moves at full speed instead of slowing down at the infantry pace – as happens with games of the Sudden Strike series for instances. Second one is that once the foot soldiers catch up with the tank they place themselves all around without the slightest regard for a possible danger direction (i.e. enemy position). Reading some document I wrongly believed it was possible to use the “defend” function in order to have infantry move towards an enemy position using cover from the tank against small arms fire – I must have misunderstood.

I also understand that the “defend” function is useful in defending a trench and should be preferred to “no movement” in order to ensure that soldiers stay put. I recognise my experience acknowledges this, but would nevertheless welcome any additional information as to how it works and what the exact differences are.

And of course I would be grateful for any hint regarding what I am missing on the “defend” function.

Thanks in advance for contribution.

You can use the defend function to have a unit or group of units follow and "defend" another unit. Click on the defending unit(s) and then click the defend button and then the unit you want them to defend. I know this works with infantry defending vehicles....otherwise you will have to experiment.

• 8 months later...

it's a combined arms thing. i noticed that my AT riflemen that were 'defending' a T26 [the manual says move behind the tank as a sort of moving pillbox for cover..pfft] just walked beside it and got wastedby tanks in front. they moved out in the open and didnt use the T26 as cover. i had a hold fire order on them to get them close but they just seeemd to get in psition to fire their AT rifles and ignored the T26 and got killed.

so, the manual is prob rubbish with this.

a T26 facing 2 PzIIIJ [late] needs all the hellp it can get and it was on a road down the middle of a town. really thought those AT rifles would've used the T26 - even destroyed - as cover.

as it happened, one AT riflemen survived after holding fire lying down between the trashed building and trashed T26. one PzIIIJ crushed houses to get at my other T26 while the other moved toward him so i had him hold fire until it was about 50 m away then suddenly it turned side on to join the other PzIII and my guy smashed the left tracks, i had my guy shoot at turret then and soon the main gun was gone.

bloody expensive way of disabling a PzIII tho. T26 and crew AND all but one of an AT rifle squad.

point is tho... the squad did not use the T26 as cover. far from it. the followed it. nothing else.

but i will admit it was fun! annoying.. but fun!