Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Global Scenario Update

I have made great progress and believe this will be a very solid scenario. My plan is to post it to CMMODs when I have finished the basics but have not yet run all the tests (to be sure things work - my guess is a lot of it will need fixing, especially the scripts, to do what I want). Once the scripting works, I will then work on the AI - first I want to balance & fix it for human vs human play.

I think everyone will be very pleased with it. The map looks fantastic except the "squeezing" effect is somewhat noticeable when you view the USA and India. The map is HUGE since I used every possible square (256x128).

I also will post prior to fixing up the graphics and extras. The graphics need to be fixed for the various national flags and such and completed. I would like to be able to mod more terrain files but no one answered my question on modding types (like turning a land plate into a land+sea plate).

Ok I ran into another problem.

In the Far East, I wanted to have China with the USA as parent, and with some of it occupied. However, if China is already at 100% but the USA is not, when the USA joins I get a message "China switches sides" and all the territory that was occupied by the Japanese becomes Chinese again.

Any way to avoid this? I presume I will have to have them associated with the UK then. I also tested France, which is also bad because when they surrender they lose access to any builds.

I guess I have to do UK, which also means I will probably program UK to move to Canada if they surrender. I was planning not to, but the dominions can't build otherwise.

One more problem I am having is getting the Vichy forces to appear when the nations are created. It does not seem to work? I Think it is because I make them = say "Algerian" which means the event owner is Algeria, and that is why. Otherwise the Free French work because the owner = UK - that is because they can appear after Algeria surrenders, for example.

I could set them to be German units - but would prefer them to be their own Nation. I cannot get that to trigger.

Never mind - got the script to work for the Vichy French, which is good.

I still don't like that "switching sides" thing - let me know if by any chance it is a bug. I can do other things, like go back to Japan starting the war when it fights the Allies, but that is rather script intensive - I would have to have the allies join, then their associated chinese, then annex the parts occupied by Japan, and then use a unit menu to add their starting forces...

Plus you can't fight it out. I am not too thrilled to have them run by the UK but I don't see any alternative other than the above.

• 2 weeks later...

Did you also activate Nationalist China? I will try it again but what happens specifically is this:

Nationalist China is set to 100% active minor of USA

Some of the Chinese areas are "occupied" by Japan

The USA is not active

When USA becomes active, it says "Nationalist China switches sides" and then all of the "occupied" areas become chinese again (with some lonely Japanese armies stuck inside).

Are you saying that did not happen, or did I do something else wrong?

I will try testing it again. If I could solve this problem I would be very happy. I want some areas to start occupied so I can have partisans appear there, and I very much prefer that the UK not be the parent - it gives them options they should not have.

Also I will upload the newer version a lot more is done - I now have Australia, DEI, Philippines included.

Also I am re-doing weather using the köppen climate model.

This also means I need to have fixed turns, since the winters in the southern hemisphere are opposite of those in the north. So having "summer" be shorter is not logical as it does not work world wide.

Hi Nupremal

Just downloaded and tried your last global conflict scenario. Didn't play it though, but I discovered a few things to correct:

1. Japan is displayed as Italy

2. Japanese units facing west are displayed as italian units, the ones facing east are japanese

3. The small boxes on the overview map (for convoys or war declaration) show wrong flags to some extent.

Why didn't you keep all three axis powers (as in the original global conflict or mine)? Just to have France as a major ally? And therefore trading in Italy as a minor axis?

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I still think you should keep Switzerland (and trade it in for Luxembourg for example).

The map is okay so far but I feel, that leaving the whole south american continent neutral is not of an improvement.

The idea of implementing an artificial country (Siberia) in order for japan not to go on war with "Russia" (=Siberia) could be interesting, needs playtesting though.

So far my comments, keep up the good work!

Sami

I had not fixed the graphics yet so I was aware of that. I didn't finish it yet. I did just fix the graphics though since I uploaded it.

The reason, as I said in other thread, that I made Italy a minor is that the allies need to be able to re-capture Paris and get a capital city. Also, if it is a minor, they won't be connected to London and get half value. Much better to have Italy as a minor. Downside is research, but the price increase for upgrades helps keep that in check.