CMBB sound gone!

This may sound weird, but.. I accidently moved my CMBB file into my CMAK file. Promptly took it out again. Since then no sound on my CMBB game.

I uninstalled CMBB and reinstalled it, complete with the 3 patches. Still no sound.

CMBO & CMAK work fine. But CMBB silent.

Is this just something I'll have to get used to? Sure takes away from the enjoyment of the game.

Or is there something I can do?

Try Junk2drive's suggestion. When you send PBEM or TCP/IP game info, it only sends "cues" for sounds and graphics, which gets re-constructed on your friend's machine. It isn't literally sending .wav files, etc. There should be a folder there along with "BMP", etc. named "WAV".

Yes, there's a folder present with a whole bunch of wav files. Maybe they can no longer be accessed for some reason?

Basically I accidently dragged the CMBB folder too close to the CMAK folder (I hadn't intended to move it at all) and had to open the CMAK folder to remove the CMBB folder. Ever since, no sound at all.

Reinstallation should have fixed everything. And things still work in CMAK, right? So it's not hardware, either.

Maybe you didn't uninstall the proper way but just deleted the CMBB folder and now there is some mixup in your system registry. I'd suggest you to get RegClean and see if doing a sweep there helps at all.

First time I uninstalled used the pc uninstaller. Second time the uninstaller with the game. Silent both reinstallations.

Only thing I can figure, I kept my old PBEM folder (because of ongoing games) & my old Scenario folder (because so many of them I created) while discarding the fresh scenario folder.

Perhaps the problem has to do with those... no, wait a second. I tested the last reinstallation before swapping scenario files, so it was as fresh and original as can be, yet still didn't work.

So perhaps there is some remnant not caught up in the uninstalls which is lurking somewhere causing a conflict. Hmm. Try & find it I guess.

I'd still recommend getting RegClean and doing a cleanup. The uninstaller might have left something hanging around, something which might confuse the new installation. Even if it doesn't help on that, it can speed up your Windows a bit as there's less of crap in the registry.

Wonders of wonders, I come home from work and the sound is working again!

Turns out my wife cleaned all the speaker connections while I was at work. Seems odd dirty connections only muted the one game, and an odd coincidence the sound disappeared just when I did something wrong with the folder, but what the heck, I'm not complaining!

What a world of difference CM's excellent immersive sound makes! So happy to have it back.

So, a hardware glitch after all.

Thanks for all the advice guys. Very sound advice it was too, but fortunately not needed.

This tech support CM forum is very cool. A part of the overall cool of Battlefront. Good stuff!

Cheers all!

Doh!!!!!

We do our best, with all the technical knowledge that we have, to help you.......

AND YOUR WIFE SOLVES THE PROBLEM!!!!! :mad:

Oh, humiliation! redface.gif

:D

So, does that mean that sounds didn't work on your system in general, and not just in CMBB? Maybe you should have tested that first... ;)

No, the only thing the sound didn't work with was my CMBB game. Everything else worked fine.

However, while I was at work the sound faded away from my wife's favourite game 'Age of Mythology'. Being a former radio technician (CBC) she opted for (to her) the most obvious solution and industriously cleaned the speaker to computer connections. It worked.