A proposal for a new feature.

How hard would it be to enable the player to draw on the tactical map? I mean being able to draw things similar to the lines of departure and advance that are currently available in the editor. This would allow the player to carefully examine the map once to determine things like subtle hill crests, and other terrain features that have a significant influence on tactical planning once, and be able to note them to save having to re-examine things in detail over and over again as he actually deploys his units. Speaking just for myself, this would save me a great deal of time. Just being able to do simple straight lines like what we get with a linear artillery target, but in a different color, would be very helpful. I am not asking for the game to recognize them in any meaningful way. I just want to be able to make notes to myself.

Nice idea. I guess it would be more realistic to have an in-game map to draw on but the line idea is sound and quick to implement i would guess, using the same types of lines as other orders (as mentioned above).

If you didn't mind there not being any UI part to this (I wouldn't in its first iteration) then I bet it could be slapped onto 1.10 using hotkeys.

How hard would it be to enable the player to draw on the tactical map? I mean being able to draw things similar to the lines of departure and advance that are currently available in the editor. This would allow the player to carefully examine the map once to determine things like subtle hill crests, and other terrain features that have a significant influence on tactical planning once, and be able to note them to save having to re-examine things in detail over and over again as he actually deploys his units. Speaking just for myself, this would save me a great deal of time. Just being able to do simple straight lines like what we get with a linear artillery target, but in a different color, would be very helpful. I am not asking for the game to recognize them in any meaningful way. I just want to be able to make notes to myself.

Yep. This idea was kicked around a while back and while it's a good one I think (IIRC) it was put on the "quite nice to have" list. Which may be the 3 or 4th list on Steve's list of lists - no one knows but him (at best :D).