My first take

LampCord

Hi all!

Just bought the game a couple days ago, played through the tutorials and first mission as Allies.

This game reminds me a lot of Close Combat in 3D. Only its more lethal.

I won the first mission and when it was over, I killed 87 Germans and lost 87 myself. I had about 8 guys left and the G's had 0 (AFAIK).

I realized after the game that I had accidentally set it to hard mode with morale, but still, how many battles happen like that in real life where 95% of the units on both sides are killed? And hard mode is supposed to be the realistic one.

Seems like the infantry is way too easily killed. IMO.

Otherwise I love it. Looks like the same strategy I used in CC works here:

ABA - Always Be Ambushing.

• 2 weeks later...

This is becouse victory conditions inside game aren't realistic, battle should end much before you loose all your soldiers, depending which countries are fighting and how many fanatics are fighting among soldiers. I remember that Combat Mission was much realistic in that way. When victory conditions are met, game should ask do you want to continue for trying to mow down all enemies just like in Total War games.

Infantry dies rather easily but not I don't think unrealistically easily, it really encourages to use good tactics and not suicide attacks against MGs and tanks. I don't know how good infantry is for attacking against tanks and MGs in this game, becouse I am trying to avoid making these kind of suiside/heroic attacks. Is there any combat gear to make ordinary infantry attack against tanks and fortified MG positions, like satchel charges and Molotov cocktails?

You are right in handling infantry with some caution. Charging a tank upright in the open is suicide in the game, as it is in real life (or death). Prone position, no move, no fire will help you a lot... until the tank is in reach. That means of course you have to use bushes, walls, etc. because, again, in the open you men will get spotted and killed, though at a lesser distance than if standing.

For infantry fighting against tanks and other vehicles you have either anti-tank grenades or special weapons such as anti-tank rifles (early war) and hollow charge projectiles launchers such as PIAT, bazooka or Panzerfaust / -schreck (later war). Not all armies have these weapons, French for instance do not have AT-rifles, German and Russians have AT-grenades but I am not too sure British and US have some (though some of the grenades carried by the latter have a AT grenade icon in the weapon interface).

With some insight and experience, I have reached a point where it is not much of a problem killing or incapaciting a tank with foot soldiers, especially if they are in a trench. A few things to mind, though : with grenades as well as with PIAT and the likes fire at short distance at a non moving target, which means fighting at very close quarter indeed and waiting for the opportunity when the tank makes a short halt to search targets, fire or change direction - use the obstacles here (a wall to crush ? the tank will decelerate and even stop for a quick moment, same for the trenches). Otherwise the grenade will detonate too far away from the target or the projectile will miss. Hollow charges and grenades will not blow the tank like an AT shell, most probably they will mortally wound the crew : that means the tank will stay put, untouched apparently, but you will notice it does not move nor fire anymore... after a while the icon will turn grey. If one of your tanks is hit by such a weapon, you will see the icons of your crew fade and disappear. With smaller armoured vehicles the effect is more radical and a bazooka shot may turn a Puma into a burning wreck instantly indeed. As for AT rifles, the ammo efficiency and penetration power has to be accounted for in relation to the distance and armour of the target, briefly said : wait for the last moment and aim at lightly armoured targets.

Fortified MG positions, I suppose you mean pillboxes, have to be disposed of with AT weapons of the PIAT category. I have not been successful against them with grenades. Neither have I had any experience with AT rifles.

This is a computer game and we have to live with the limitations this entails. But the above and the ingame experience do not contradict the infantry fighting training I got in the 80's and thus seems rather realistic.

I have already been able to silence an MG pillbox in the game, using a german AT-grenade.

I was really surprised as I didn't really expect the grenade to be effective, seing the "armor" value of the bunker. I suppose the crew inside was killed, but the pillbox itself was unscathed.