Questions about PDE

Okay, now that I bought SC2 Blitz and Waw, I see that PDE has some rather nice improvements. However the map max size is still 256x128. Forgive me if this has been covered, I've been searching and reading threads lately like crazy trying to get up to speed...

Q: why is the max only 256x128? Is that the largest the game engine will handle?

Q: Is there a way to introduce new "tiles". There just doesn;t seem to me that many "islands".

Q: I read that some of the campaign maps are now larger. Is that correct? Do we get a larger European campaign??? Are WW2 campaigns also in PDE?

Q: If I make a smaller battle (like the D-Day scenario for example) can more terrain tiles be introduced? Are we limited to what's there now? Is there a way to have "elevations"? I suppose that may be too much to ask for a game that wants to maintain its "strategic" level appeal rather than a tactical one.

Q: PDE is now a stand alone product, correct?

Thanks. Sorry if these seem redundant. Trying to make the best decision here about which one to get next.

Geozero, no worries and I am glad to help :)

1. This is the max size that the Engine can handle for most AI vs AI games. Any larger and things really slow down too much to make the game almost unplayable.

2. Not at the moment

3. Correct, and I would suggest you take a look at the following product pages, it has a list of the included campaigns, as well as the Demo found below:

http://www.battlefront.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=157&Itemid=215

http://www.battlefront.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=177&Itemid=229

4. No elevations and you are essentially limited to what you have now in terms of overall terrain types. Although you can always swap out one of the existing terrain types for another one that you might have in mind. In that case all you need to do is edit the properties for the terrain type as well as the graphics etc.

4. PDE is not stand-alone but rather still an expansion of the original SC2 Blitzkrieg (i.e. unlike the Pacific Theater release which is stand-alone.)

Hope this helps,

Hubert