How do I change the off-map tile?

I want to play around with the generic terrain tile that surrounds my Ramadi map. Right now, it looks like Las Vegas used to be: densely packed buildings and then -- wham! -- you're in open desert. Even something fuzzy (like Google Earth when you look at it in perspective mode) would be better to convey the idea that the city continues beyond the map edge.

Which bmp file is it? It doesn't seem to be in the Skybox folder. Is it just the same "sand" tile used on the map? I've seen a couple of mods where it got changed, so I know it can be done.

Anyone able to help out here? Thanks!

The background uses "ground dirt.bmp" inside the "textures/ground" folder.

Be careful, though, that's the same tile used for the generic dirt textures at any graphic settings except the highest. For the highest graphic settings, the game uses "ground dirt 1" and "ground dirt 2" for the map textures (the background is still "gound dirt").

Thanks for the info.

On a slightly different topic, my Ramadi map -- currently 720m x 430m, pooltable flat river plain but 90% densely covered with 1-3 story buildings, walls and 250+ trees and doodads -- has run quite nicely on my 2Ghz / 2 Gig RAM laptop running Windows 2000 (graphics card Mobile Intel 915GM/GMS, 910GML Express Chipset family).

But I just put in the high rise buildings -- "Gay Palace" and aptly named "Swiss Cheese" that dominate the Ramadi city centre (or did -- "Swiss Cheese" got JDAMed). These are about 6 different building 6-8 story building tiles (combined into 2 high rises next to each other) near the edge of the map.

Now whenever these buildings are in sight, I notice an immediate 50% loss in framerate (I can counter it by "looking at the ground" as I scroll around the map).... it really drags. I'm surprised that just a couple of buildings has this dramatic effect. Anyone else have this experience with tall buildings (as opposed to hills)? Any suggestions?

I may mess around with using simpler structures (as elsewhere on my map I'm trying to make these buildings look like they do in the pictures) and see if that helps.