Scenario recommendations

HVK

I have played some CMx1, but I only recently have begun playing CMSF. I usually play WEGO against the AI. I have so far played Al Hawl and the training campaign, along with several QBs. My question is, what order should I play the scenarios in? I would like to start with simple and ramp up as I go.

If you want to keep them small for the time being, pick the missions with 1 or 2 soldiers in the scenario size box. It doesn't mean that it'll be easy but it means you'll feel more in control so that you can learn the game.

However, if you want something simple to teach you the basics, Mishga did a nice mini campaign featuring a full US M1 tank platoon with support called Operation Sandstorm. You'll find it at www.CMMODS.com under her hubby's name 'Meach'.

Yup, found all the stuff at the cmod forum. Gonna have to search through all those goodies.

Anybody have a good rule of thumb for the quick battles, as to what troop balance modifier to use to account for the AI. Last one I played gave me a company and a half of M1 Abrams and 2 platoons of infantry mounted in Bradleys. The Syrians just sat in their set-up area while the tanks seized the high ground and pummeled the Syrians before they got off a shot. Syrians lost 350 men to the US 0. Can't wait for the next update.

Well, with respect to the Syrians sitting in their set-up zones, that sounds like a bad map. If I were you, I would open up all the QB maps with that terrain type and delete it from the folder when I found it. It's probably one of the stock maps so you can ignore the QBG maps.

Secondly, if you pick US Heavy Infantry vs the Syrians, that's pretty much what you can expect. Even if you give the Syrians the maxxed out force balance, they're no match for that particular combination. One platoon of M1 Abrams is more than sufficient against the Syrians. Better for the US side is choosing Stryker Infantry as you won't get any M1s or Bradleys. You can sometimes get a good battle with Stryker Infantry v Syrian mech forces but it's very hit-or-miss.

But don't focus too much on the QB system. Fortunately, the quality of the scenarios for CMSF more than compensates for the QB system's shortcomings.