runtime issue with SC2

Hi,

It seems that battlefront don't do any interop testing with their software. I have been trying to get TOW and SC2 working (at least 8 hours trying different stuff). Amazing - I just want to play games! this is the 21st century, I don't need to be stuffing around looking through forums and downloading patches etc. :mad:

Screenshot attached. Without TOW it worked fine, but now even when I uninstall TOW and reboot still get the same icon. SC2 was working at some stage... :confused:

How about going back to some basic customer needs:

- it is better if the software just 'works'

- having to search through threads, wierd error messages etc. and still the problem is not resolved

- software that works by itself and then doesn't work when another application of the same vendor is installed is FLAKY SOFTWARE.:mad:

it's cheap to verify software these days!

I would like my money back. Thanks.

schkip

ha ha limited to three smiley images !?!

There is really no connection between one game and another but the problem you are seeing is documented in full in the eLicense FAQ Guide. You need to properly set your Data Execution Prevention settings. This is something that Microsoft implemented and has been known to cause problems with various games and other applications (seperate from anything we make). Various things can cause the DEP setting to reset or need to be reconfigured and that sounds like what happened with your computer. If you do a search on DEP in google you will see that it causes far more problems than it has ever fix and is just another example of a good idea poorly implemented by Microsoft.

As to your other comments, I and many of my testers have every single game we make on the same computers and there is not any documented cases of one program interferring with another at all.

(html version of section below with screenshot)

http://www.battlefront.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=47&Itemid=30

Here is what you need to get everything, both ToW and SC2) to work on your PC:

I get this error: The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000005)!

Friday, 26 October 2007

You may need to adjust your Data Execution Prevention settings. Here is how:

1. Right-click on "My Computer"

2. Select "Properties"

3. Click on the "Advanced" Tab.

4. Click on the Performance "Settings" Button

5. Click on the "Data Execution Prevention" Tab

6. Verify that "Turn on DEP for essential Windows programs and services only" is selected. If it is not, select that option and click "APPLY" and then try and run the game.

Note: Even if you see that option checked already, go ahead and uncheck and then recheck it to ensure that its activated!

7. If the crash persists, go back and select the other option "turn on DEP for all windows programs and services EXCEPT those I select" and ADD the following files:

7a. For Strategic Command 2 add "SC2.exe" and "Editor.exe" Those files will be found in your C:\Program Files\Battlefront\Strategic Command 2 directory by default or wherever you installed the game on your computer.

7b. For DropTeam add "DropTeam.exe" and "Update.exe". Those files will be found in your C:\Program Files\Battlefront\DropTeam directory by default or wherever you installed the game on your computer.

7c. For T-72 Balkans on Fire! add "core.exe". That file will found in your C:\Program Files\Battlefront\T-72 Balkans on Fire\bin directory by default or wherever you installed the game on your computer.

7d. For Theatre of War, add "tow.exe", "towsetup.exe" , "triggercompiler.exe" and from the MissionEditor directory, add the "Editor.exe". Those files will be found in your Theatre of War directory.

7e. For the Combat Mission Games, add "CM Afrika Korps.exe" for CMAK and add "Barbarossa to Berlin.exe" for CMBB and "CM Shock Force.exe" for CMSF

8. You also need to add "runservice.exe" to the DEP excluded list. That file will be found in C:\Windows

9. Click APPLY then Reboot and then relaunch the game.

Sample of what the DEP page should look like for Strategic Command 2.

dep.gif

Last Updated ( Friday, 26 October 2007 )